Airport Express or Squeezebox?

Salt Peanuts

So I'm finally getting off my lazy ass to seriously start planning for my wireless music setup. My question is, disregarding SQ difference since this will be used only for casual listening via speakers, what does Squeezebox have over Airport Express? I will be using it to feed a DAC via one of my Macs, most likely my iBook, and just about all of my music files are in ALAC or AIFF.

Squeezebox sure do look pretty, especially in all black, but is it worth 3x that of Airport Express for my application?

Damnit, I just remembered that I'm using a USB wifi adaptor with my iBook (internal AirPort is dead and I'm not going to shell out few hundred $ to replace the logic board) - which may mean that I won't be able to use AirPort Express with the iBook. Grrr.

Get a macbook! I use my AEX with Front Row and I love it. Of course the AEX is only capable of 16/44.1 data streams, but if you get yourself an upsampling DAC, that won't be an issue.

Interesting, everyone loves their SB3, huh?

Get a macbook! I use my AEX with Front Row and I love it. Of course the AEX is only capable of 16/44.1 data streams, but if you get yourself an upsampling DAC, that won't be an issue.

I thought about getting a new Macbook and I still may, but I'm waiting at least until Leopard comes out in couple of week. Oh, and I will be getting an upsampling DAC.

I really like the added convenience (remote control, lots of options, nice adjustable display, built-in radio) and looks factor of the Squeezebox. I currently have both but use the Airport Express for Wifi and printing only.

Remote won't matter much to me since I'll just be using the iBook that sits in my living room 99% of the time.

I heart my SB3, can't wait to turn it into a balanced source. Now if that damn amp builder would just get busy.

LOL.

i think you can. my apartment is all Macs, but i believe that a previous room mate, who had a PC, was able to stream music over my AEX. it was a couple years ago, though, so i can't be sure that i'm remembering the event correctly.

Yeah, I've got confirmation from others that it can be done. I'm leaning toward AEX at this point since I can just keep using iTunes with it, and haven't really found any compelling practical reason to spend $200 more for SB3. Anyone's welcomed to change my mind, though. ;D

The real reason is so that you don't have to have your laptop wherever you're listening to music. Comparing an SB3 to AEX isn't really an apples to apples comparison.

Ah, I had forgotten about that. How is navigating music files on SB3? I have rather large number of music files, but I've never seen SB3 in action so I don't know how it handles the navigation.

Ah, I had forgotten about that. How is navigating music files on SB3? I have rather large number of music files, but I've never seen SB3 in action so I don't know how it handles the navigation.

Very easy, you can use the numeric keys to skip through the alphabet to the letter that you want and then it scrolls pretty quickly. I'm still trying to put together a little mini-meet with Voodoochile sometime in the next month or so, if I get it set up I'll see if you're around.

I had the AEX with a BelCanto DAC2 and it was a very nice source. Given the choice, I would go with the SB3. It gives you option you don't have with the AEX. I'm running it with the Hertsens Sig DAC and I think the combo rivaled the Transporter (just an impression as I didn't have time for a real comparison). Of course, down the road you need Nate to throw together a ps for the SB3. Wait for a used one and you will probably get it for clost to $200.

I'm going to keep vouching for the AEX, especially if you have a mac with frontrow.

Yes on the first, but no on the second.

I'm leaning toward SB3 at this moment for the reason that I don't have to have my iBook to control it. I'm also not in a rush so I can wait for a good deal on a used one for show up - and I'm an idiot for not getting the one PFK had for sale.

Didn't know MacBook had upsampling digital out. I only have a lowly iBook (and an iMac - not the current one, but one version before).

I'm trying to figure out a way to free up a HDMI or component in on my TV but I don't think I can unless I get a switchbox or something. It's too bad that Apple TV doesn't have VGA out.