The ethics of DIY cable galleries

eric343

Since Head-Case has of late begun its own DIY cable gallery, I'd like to discuss what I think is appropriate for such a gallery. Given that the Head-Fi DIY cable gallery has been used for commercial promotion by certain members (see the Ruh Roh thread), it would be nice if we could avoid that fate here. For example, posting glamour shots of cables for the purposes of attracting offers to buy is in my opinion not right. The DIY forum exists to help people build components which they could otherwise buy and promote the hobby of doing the same. At the same time, people should be encouraged to go into business if they're interested, since doing so fosters competition and therefore better prices and (hopefully) better sound. (witness the level of sophistication that Cmoy amps on eBay have reached, or the quality of cables coming from the various hobby makers such as ayt999, or any number of other examples)

Therefore, I would suggest the following:

a) It is not appropriate to simply post images of cables without giving a description of their construction, such that anyone could duplicate those cables given freely-available resources. Leaving out a useful description has the dual effect of discouraging others from duplicating your efforts (thereby decreasing possible competition) and adding nothing to the general body of knowledge regarding DIY cables. Describing the construction and materials allows others to discuss the same, while the simple fact of their listing may encourage fellow DIYers to try construction and materials which they otherwise wouldn't.

On the other hand, simply posting glamour shots can only be detrimental in that it encourages people to focus more on the style and outwardly visible construction than on the actual technology. After all, props and encouragement from a glamour shot will be given only based on what can be seen in the shot.

B) Commercial entities should not post pictures of their creations in these threads. While I don't think that this should be enforced too heavily, given that small entities have few other means of advertising, a for-profit manufacturer posting their photos is rather like an NBA player joining a street pick-up game. The pro ought to use their experience to advise and encourage the amateurs rather than simply showing off.

I might be a little utopian, of course. Or maybe reading all the Supreme Court cases and judicial philosophy for this class I'm taking is starting to get to me.