WOOOOT! My super find. Can't beat free!!!!

oicdn

Bringing my pops back from the airport, and tomorrow is trash day. I'm driving down my street when I see some speakers, a large bunch of electronics rather, sitting on the side of the road. My house is like 8 houses down, so I decide to just go home grab the cargo van and drive back by and if they're even decent, I'll pick them up.

So, what do I find? I'll let the crappy pics speak for themselves (GF has the camera, so I had to use my phone).

5e7666ffd8f6.jpg

cb1b166697ca.jpg

e7bb00431f53.jpg

They are:

Marantz SP 2050

The Smaller Advent Loudspeaker

Air Suspension Quadra Linear Horn System

All the speakers are in MINT condition. Foam and everything is MINT. Hopefully the dew that was starting to build-up on them didn't damage anything.

When I stopped, I figured the centers would be pushed in , or need to be refoamed. Nopes. All of them are in great shape. I was expecting the larger speakers to be some white van speaker, or at most something like Pioneer or whatever. Now I know it may not be a TOTL speaker, but a dece find none the less...FREE.

I grabbed those other horn speakers cause frankly, they looked cool, and they were the other speakers out there in good shape. I have no idea what they are or have never heard of them before. It says the model is "KDD-R W". My googling found nothing.

Pretty sweet find though. The other electronics and stuff there was what appeared to either be remodeling/purging of audio equipment, or his wife got mad and threw his stuff on the curb cause the stands and shelving were all broken. Doubtful though, cause it was all neatly placed. I was looking to get some smaller speakers for my room, but now that I have these Advents....I won't need to buy anything.

I haven't powered them up yet, cause it's 11:15pm here and I don't want to wake anybody, and I have to get up at 5am tomorrow, but I thought I would just share my find. And if anybody is able to lend me any info on the speakers, feel free to post them here! Especially those funky looking air suspension ones....

Too good to be true...although the Marantz's are in perfect shape, the Advents need to be refoamed. I finally got around to taking off the burlap cover.

I'm just curious now, if the coil is damaged from it being sagged for possibly/likely a LONG time. There's literally NO FOAM, just coil and dustcap. The red tweeter above though, looks fine.

Well, I guess the cosmetic condition kinda had me assuming on the Advents. There's only one cosmetic flaw on the cabinets, and it's actually on the burlap cover, it has a snagged string. Otherwise, mint. Well, maybe 9/10 for you really discerning folk. How hard is it to refoam one of those? Or would it be better for me to just get new drivers?

Great find!

My wife and I still have one pr. of the Large Advents boxed up in the basement. Gave one pr. away. AAAAHHHHHH the good old days, stacked Advents.

Boy, that does take one back - I stacked Advents!

The small advents are 4 ohms or less, and are known to piss off many

low powered amplifiers.

Kevin is right, too - I seem to remember the small Advents had issues. It was bad enough stacking the regulars - you had to have a good amp that didn't balk at low impedance. At least, that's what I remember ... and it's been what - 35yrs?

Schweet score!

I know a few folks who have gone through the re-foam thing. If done right (and I've heard it's fairly simple) the speakers sound great when all is said and done.

I'm pretty sure PartsExpress sells the re-foam kits...

Yep, they do. Just do a search for "surround kit advent" and you'll see a bunch of them.