Upgrading my home source from Denon DVD-3800... what to get?

Ok, so my wife is tired of all my listening with open cans in the living room so I am starting to think about moving everything into the second bedroom/office so she doesn't have to go into our bedroom to watch TV. I will likely get a nice club chair and ottoman and my plans are to either replace the Denon with a different DVD player or replace the Denon with a different CDP.

The Denon has a pretty decent DAC in it but I know I could do better. Given the expenses of everything else I'd like to keep it under $500. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would certainly check audiogon for some used cdp's, but for something new the Onix cdp's are pretty nice for their price. You might also want to consider getting a DAC instead, you should be able to pick up a used ack dack v1 for under $500 with no problem.

I'm trying to research replacing it with something that will move into some of the new formats like SACD, HDCD, I don't know what redbook is but you get the idea.

I've been looking at Marantz SA8260, Cary 306, Adcom GCD-750, and given my great experience with Denon I'd consider something newer that what I have from them. So, what should I get??? This will be used solely with my PPX3 Slam, PS-1 and HD650/Zu.

I have a redwine modded DV578a that, while not being quite in the league of the cary, is still quite nice. I'd ship it to you to try out if you're interested. If you don't like it, send it back, if you do, make me an offer...