5 minute edit window too short...

TheSloth

how's the post editing time for you ? and how should it be long ?  

1. 1. how's the post editing time for you ? and how should it be long ?

• please make it longer (10 minutes / 1 hours)
    • please make it much longer ( 24h )
    • edit always available
    • 5 minutes it's enough

They weren't fighting words, you misread what I said... and are for some reason continuing to act as if you don't know what I meant. I hope you're having fun with this. It's getting a little old over here. ;)

So you're saying you didn't mean that you're a dick if you sell used gear for more than you paid?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, way to talk me around in circles. I guess a recap is in order.

You - So that the buyer can sell it later without having the baggage of what they paid being part of the equation.

Me - Baggage? Unless you are a dick and try to make money off of your used purchases, that shouldn't be a problem.

You - How is looking to sell for what something is worth being a dick, commie?

Me - Even if you want to sell something for more than you paid for it, I fail to see why you would want to hide that by editing it out. Unless you are guilty of course. Commie.

You - I could care less whether people know the price I paid when I sell... ...As a seller, I do it as a courtesy to the buyer.

Me - I just think that removing the price from a for sale thread is pointless.

You - But you didn't say pointless, you said the person doing it was a dick.

You/Me - Argue, getting nowhere.

Ok, so what are we talking about again? Oh yeah, editing the price out of your for sale thread after the fact. Please reread this exchange in that light.

My 'unless you are a dick' comment was obviously replying to you speaking of the 'baggage of what they paid'. If you want to sell something for less than you paid, fine, but hiding that information seems dishonest to me. I understand that some products increase in value over time and have no issue with someone selling their PS-1 for more than they bought it for. I do have issue with someone getting a sweet deal off of a generous seller and then turning around and profiteering off of a gullible buyer. By removing the asking price from a thread you are enabling people to be dishonest. Since I can't see any other reason to do so, I find it strange that people follow this practice.

I guess if there wasn't a 5 minute edit window and I could change my post for clarification it would read: "Unless you are a dick and try to make money off of your used purchases while keeping others in the dark, that shouldn't be a problem."

Is that clear? I don't care if you agree, but do you understand what I mean?

No I do understand exactly what you mean, and that's why I was arguing. You're calling people who want to make money selling gear dicks. Since it's the SELLER who edits the price, obviously the seller doesn't object to the buyer selling for what it's worth. I objected to you calling anyone who would sell something they own for more than they paid a dick. You said I misunderstood, I don't think I did. But anyway, we both know what we mean, you think I'm a dick, and I think you're a whiney bitch communist.

Wow, way to talk me around in circles. I guess a recap is in order.

You - So that the buyer can sell it later without having the baggage of what they paid being part of the equation.

Me - Baggage? Unless you are a dick and try to make money off of your used purchases, that shouldn't be a problem.

You - How is looking to sell for what something is worth being a dick, commie?

Me - Even if you want to sell something for more than you paid for it, I fail to see why you would want to hide that by editing it out. Unless you are guilty of course. Commie.

You - I could care less whether people know the price I paid when I sell... ...As a seller, I do it as a courtesy to the buyer.

Me - I just think that removing the price from a for sale thread is pointless.

You - But you didn't say pointless, you said the person doing it was a dick.

You/Me - Argue, getting nowhere.

Ok, so what are we talking about again? Oh yeah, editing the price out of your for sale thread after the fact. Please reread this exchange in that light.

My 'unless you are a dick' comment was obviously replying to you speaking of the 'baggage of what they paid'. If you want to sell something for less than you paid, fine, but hiding that information seems dishonest to me. I understand that some products increase in value over time and have no issue with someone selling their PS-1 for more than they bought it for. I do have issue with someone getting a sweet deal off of a generous seller and then turning around and profiteering off of a gullible buyer. By removing the asking price from a thread you are enabling people to be dishonest. Since I can't see any other reason to do so, I find it strange that people follow this practice.

I guess if there wasn't a 5 minute edit window and I could change my post for clarification it would read: "Unless you are a dick and try to make money off of your used purchases while keeping others in the dark, that shouldn't be a problem."

Is that clear? I don't care if you agree, but do you understand what I mean?

No I do understand exactly what you mean, and that's why I was arguing. You're calling people who want to make money selling gear dicks.
No. That is not the way that I meant it, and I have clarified what I meant multiple times since then.
Since it's the SELLER who edits the price, obviously the seller doesn't object to the buyer selling for what it's worth.
True, then what is this talk of baggage and editing out the price as a courtesy to the buyer?

As for 'what it's worth', that has got to be the biggest joke in audio. People generally try to get what they paid for an item or more. How the fuck does that make sense!? I don't think I am a communist for recognizing that items depreciate through use. If it is a collectors item with some rarity, fine, that is different.

This is all besides the point though, as my argument was that I don't see a need to remove the price from for sale threads. I find it useful to be able to refer to those prices and get frustrated when I do a search and find a bunch of threads with it removed. You have decided to pick apart one poorly worded [and poorly read] comment of mine and completely derailed what I was talking about. Now it seems like you are just trying to piss me off for the sake of it, so I'm going to bow out here.

No. That is not the way that I meant it, and I have clarified what I meant multiple times since then.True, then what is this talk of baggage and editing out the price as a courtesy to the buyer?

As for 'what it's worth', that has got to be the biggest joke in audio. People generally try to get what they paid for an item or more. How the fuck does that make sense!? I don't think I am a communist for recognizing that items depreciate through use. If it is a collectors item with some rarity, fine, that is different.

This is all besides the point though, as my argument was that I don't see a need to remove the price from for sale threads. I find it useful to be able to refer to those prices and get frustrated when I do a search and find a bunch of threads with it removed. You have decided to pick apart one poorly worded [and poorly read] comment of mine and completely derailed what I was talking about. Now it seems like you are just trying to piss me off for the sake of it, so I'm going to bow out here.

Of course people want to get what they paid or more for things. As a seller, you should always strive to maximize what you get. As a buyer, only pay what you think something is worth. That's how economics works. It takes 2 parties to determine value: 1 party decides what they're willing to sell something for, and the other party decides what they're willing to pay. If they can come to an agreement, there's a sale.

Of course people want to get what they paid or more for things. As a seller, you should always strive to maximize what you get. As a buyer, only pay what you think something is worth. That's how economics works. It takes 2 parties to determine value: 1 party decides what they're willing to sell something for, and the other party decides what they're willing to pay. If they can come to an agreement, there's a sale.

Agreed. I mean I know what you paid for these VTG's, but I knew what I was buying, and how hard they are to come by. I knew what condition these were in, and there was no gambling on the sound. The price I offered reflected all this.