Would I like DT770/DT 880/DT 990?

archosman

Don't know. Is there some way of checking the box for manufacturer dates? I suspect they don't move a lot of them.

They also had some sort of Elec(sp?) brand as well. Awful bronze/gold color and looked sort of like 7506. Also carry the Westone U1s and U2s. I think the U2s were 299... but I'm not 100% sure on that.

IIRC, the old 880's were too bright and harsh, and old 990's were bit muddy and had recessed mids. Don't know about new ones since I haven't heard them.

With regards to the 880, the old one is like getting a root canal with no anesthetic, the new one is like getting a root canal without enough anesthetic. To me, it's just a matter of which one's treble is more piercing and painful.

I own a Senn 580 which I'm enjoying a lot on my vinyl rig, and it's actually pretty decent on my tube amp setup. I've heard all versions of the 880 & 990 and to be honest I hated the damn things, and I can't really see how a Senn person could like them. I can see how Grados and AKGs can compliment Senns and make for a good alternate 'phone to listen to, but to me the Beyers are so far out there that they don't make sense at all.

The ER4P/S and HD600 are 'phones I use frequently. I tried the old DT880 on a couple of occasions and hated it, but I really like the new DT990. I use it regularly with the other headphones.

Overall, the DT990 is brighter than the HD600. Speaking of fanboys, I decided to pick up the DT990 (250 ohm) based in large part to Skylab's comments. My impressions agree with his experience so the DT990 turned out to be something I was looking for.

For the price, you haven't much to lose if you decide to sell later.

I've own both the dt990's & 880's, both the older editions. I didn't like the 880's, mainly because they didn't have a "fat" enough sound and lacked the quanity of bottom end that I was seeking. The 990's improved both those areas, so I kept them and still have them. With 990's I haven't experienced the recessed mids and srill highs that some talk about. I guess it just depends on how you amp them.

At the last < International Headfi > meet I had a chance to compare the dt990 '03 & '05 editions. I'd heard at that time everyone raving on what an improvement the '05's were. For my listening, I found just the oposite to be true and preferred the '03's by a substanial margin.

- augustwest

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned the old DT880 before and current have been using the ER4P and the HD650 for years. The DT880 in many ways similar to the HD650 but (and a big but) with a major boost in the treble area and a wider soundstage but with less depth.

Now the treble makes it "airy" but often the sibilance got out of control. Some people would like it that way but to me there was just something that made the DT880 uninvolving. Was it the midrange? Lack of warmth? I don't really know. Then again I prefer the ER4P/S over any headphone and many would call the ER4 uninvolving.

On the otherhand, the DT880 is very very well built, I think it's much more durable than the Sennheisers or Audio-Technicas, which is a plus if you plan to carry it around. Also I liked the fairly neutral presentation of low midrange and bass, but at the end wasn't too happy with how it handled upper range and vocals felt too "light."

Imo they are good "work" phones because they are closed, isolate well and they can take a lot of beating. Oh and they can be driven well from a laptop, but the Pico did good for my pair. Soundwise I think there are better choices, there is a little to much of the wrong kind of bass for my liking.

I have two pairs of DT770's, but neither are 80 ohms. I love them, they are rather durable, and they play rock and electronica well. Others have complained about them being overly sibilant, but nothing that 10,000 khrs. of burn-in won't cure. I don't tend to be sensitive to sibilance, but neither will I argue with those with more sensitive ears than mine.