APL 3910 32bit *56k beware*

spritzer

glad you're liking it!! great sources rock.

They do. Now I've got to buy a RCA->BNC adapter so I can try the AudioZone DAC I just got. It's a well liked piece of kit and should be an interesting comparison to the APL and DAS-R1.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky ;p The man still has 3k of my money and supposedly a dv60 unit that I have never ever seen (Shipped directly to him via Esoteric). I think Neil said he's seen my unit sitting around untouched.

I guess maybe soon after the DAC is finally out he might have time to work on it or whatever.

Edit: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1215023681 <- this thing is pretty tempting though.

Lucky ;p The man still has 3k of my money and supposedly a dv60 unit that I have never ever seen (Shipped directly to him via Esoteric). I think Neil said he's seen my unit sitting around untouched.

I guess maybe soon after the DAC is finally out he might have time to work on it or whatever.

Edit: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1215023681 <- this thing is pretty tempting though.

You APL customers are So. Unbelievably. Frekking. PATIENT :mikey2:

I have been tempted to buy a used APL player on audiogon a number of times, but I really can't figure out what I'd be buying.

For instance, I've read that there have been several iterations of the DV-50 and also of the denon 3910. Using the AKM dacs or not... Then on top there are several versions of these AKM dacs as well? I've asked a couple of sellers on Agon and to this day have not got an straight answer as to what AKM dacs their unit has. Maybe they truly don't know, since this market seems to running at lightning fast pace. So, it makes it hard for me to figure out what a reasonable price for a used unit is.

I'd for sure love to hear one though, specially in my rig : - )

Ouch!!! I'm really glad I opted out of the newer designs and bought the first 3910 I could find. Too bad it's black but I really don't care all that much since the sound makes up for all all such meaning less crap.

Man just went to the APL forums and looks like the NWO 3.0 is evolving again with a tubed output stage based on this tube: E182CC <- sounds exciting.

It's a rather rare tube so it's a limited edition but I'm tempted to buy one... :o

APL == Eternal wait for sources

Singlepower == Eternal wait for amps

:mikey2:

We need a smiley for eternal waiting, maybe a smiley with x eyes and cobwebs all over it...

It took just under 6 months from me buying the player on A'gon and until it arrived here in Iceland fully updated. It wasn't too bad as I waited about 6 months for my Headamp Blue Hawaii and the He90 was about the same. Time flies when you don't have enough of it...

I have been tempted to buy a used APL player on audiogon a number of times, but I really can't figure out what I'd be buying.

For instance, I've read that there have been several iterations of the DV-50 and also of the denon 3910. Using the AKM dacs or not... Then on top there are several versions of these AKM dacs as well? I've asked a couple of sellers on Agon and to this day have not got an straight answer as to what AKM dacs their unit has. Maybe they truly don't know, since this market seems to running at lightning fast pace. So, it makes it hard for me to figure out what a reasonable price for a used unit is.

I'd for sure love to hear one though, specially in my rig : - )

The 3910 was a work in progress so there are a lot of different versions of the DACs and outputs and the owners often haven't got a clue which version they have but they can all be updated to the latest 32bit AKM and the new output transformers with a ECC99 tube.