Extracting DVD audio to CD?

Pars

Per title, and no, not DVD-A, just plain DVD. I have a couple of concert films that I would like to extract the audio to CD (lossless). This is on a Mac. I played around with OSEx and mac3 something or other last night and managed to extract AC3 files for each track from one and get them converted to AIFF, but it was somewhat less than intuitive. I haven't compared the sound of said CD to the DVD yet, but it seems fine.

Also, the total content was a bit outside the range of a 700Mb CD (at 1:30). If I were to compress it slightly to try to fit the whole thing on one CD, any suggestions? If I extracted the AC3 to mpeg4 (m4a?) would that save any space?

Thanks

-Chris

The latter question first -- if you're making a redbook CD, then no, it'll never work. You basically need a time squeezer, and you don't want to listen to the song sped up unless you absolutely have to.

Former question -- wouldn't MacTheRipper get you the files you need? Then it's just a matter of converting them, neh?

Hmm, isn't the CD capacity determined by filesize? Or is it a fixed number of minutes? I thought if you put compressed MP3s on a CD-R you could get a shitload of music on one?

Or are you saying that because it is Redbook, you are limited to 80 minutes?

If you do them as MP3 files on a CD-ROM format CD (which is sometimes called an MP3 CD) then you have to make sure that whatever player you have will play that. In which case, even at minimum compression, you should probably be able to get it to fit, I think.

But no, redbook is straight minutes, because it's uncompressed audio, and has a completely different format. So yes, I'm saying the latter.

Hmm, isn't the CD capacity determined by filesize? Or is it a fixed number of minutes? I thought if you put compressed MP3s on a CD-R you could get a shitload of music on one?

Or are you saying that because it is Redbook, you are limited to 80 minutes?

Assuming your trying to make an audio cd out of it yes your limited to 80 minutes.

• 1 month later...

No, it was one while I was starting to / in process of doing it, and people were recommending programs. I could of sworn it was here on head-case as I would have a higher degree of trust in the answers than on other sites.