Source Inquiry - Beyond the CD5001

Aura

While my Marantz has been very enjoyable for the short time I've owned it, I cannot help but wonder what I will move to after I am finished with this unit. Really it comes down to sticking with redbooks and simply moving up to a better cdp (Cambridge 840C, Marantz SA8001 are a few possibilities) or keeping the 5001 as a transport and grabbing a dedicated DAC (CIA VDA2 interests me greatly). The flexibility of a standalone DAC would be nice, but is not totally necessary.

Budget will probably be under $1,000.

The rig as it sits now is CD5001 > SP MPX3 > JVC DX1000/Denon D2000.

All suggestions are appreciated, thanks much.

Well I have the Marantz 5001 and upgraded it by adding the Mdht Paradisea dac with Redbank 6385 tubes instead of the stock tubes or the WE 396as. The improvement with the Paradisea is pretty dramatic and the combo performs well above the additional $600 cost of the dac and Redbanks. The soundstage is wider, deeper, and quieter and if it wasn't for my new Capitole, the Marantz would still be my number one source for evening listening sessions. The Marantz 5001 has a pretty decent laser unit and with very light mods such as an IEC inlet and soundcoat for resonance you have a great transport. I would look around here for the many other good dac recommendations.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input; if I were to choose an MDHT model it would probably be the Constantine, simply for the fact that I am afraid of getting too warm of a signature with tubes in both my amp and source.

I guess my main interest is finding out if relatively high-end cdps, such as the SA8001, can compete with relatively high-end standalone DACs, such as the Lavry DA-10, DAC1, etc.

I'm really steering towards a cdp upgrade rather than sticking a standalone DAC into the rig now.

So... what do I need to consider for redbooks (and possibly SACD) for less than a grand? The Cambridge 840 would be an ideal choice, but I cannot foresee being able to drop the extra cash on it.

Thanks all.

Already including the sale of my Marantz into the budget ;).

Maybe I'll just stretch for it. I'd be close enough to affording it that it would feel like bitching out.

...other recommendations are still much appreciated. Like I'm waiting for someone to come in and tell me that the SA8001 is awesome for 6-7 hundred :).

The SA8001 is awesome, but since I have no experience with the CD5001, I have no idea how large or small a step up it would be for you. But you get SACD, and that, in itself, will be a pretty nice step up.

Is there any way you could try it on a return policy from a local store or something?

I say: dew et.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

i wouldn't say they are shitty, i think they they perform pretty well given the size/cost/feature set. they just aren't the giant killers so many make them out to be.

You have a point there with regards to feature set perhaps, but as far as DAC/sound quality I think you can find things that are way better (Not just not readily available 90s dacs which is the route I've taken, but in production things) things like the PS Audio Link III is reasonably solid (Decent DAC chip/Current Steering for I/V/Decent output stage) for the same price point, or the Cambridge 840C.

I guess I don't see the Benchmark DAC1/Lavry DA10 as potential giant killers more as giants to be killed.

While my Parasound 1600 HD is non functional, my Parasound 1500 DAC is awesome. It's like the same thing as the 1600 HD except for the lack of the superior PMD100 filter and the ability to decode HDCD. I got it for 166 bucks shipped. Spektograf did a fairly decent comparison between it and my Esoteric UX-1 which not only uses the same PCM1704 as Filburt's dac but was schematically similar to it pre Filburt mods i.e. meh output stage... and found that he liked the Parasound more. And while most people do not like the Esoteric house sound the UX-1 is one of the better sounding units as it does use a quite excellent DAC chip, so doing as well as it did is no mean feat imo. I'd take my Esoteric or the Parasound 1500 over the DAC 1 or Lavry DA10 any day of the week.. even stock.

The SA8001 is awesome, but since I have no experience with the CD5001, I have no idea how large or small a step up it would be for you. But you get SACD, and that, in itself, will be a pretty nice step up.

Is there any way you could try it on a return policy from a local store or something?

I say: dew et.

I thoroughly enjoy the CD5001, and there's just something appealing about moving up in the Marantz line to me. I would really like to run an 8001 for a test-trial, but I'd need to search through Marantz dealers to see if any are close by. If not, I would take a risk and go for a refurb from accessories4less.

Thanks Dusty, you are reaffirming for me, which is quite helpful when I've put thought into it already :). Much appreciated.