Tribute Inductive Volume Control and other TVCs

luvdunhill

hm.. so, I'm not getting an overwhelming response "go try this, no one has done it". It would definitely be the road less traveled.

Well, the thing is you'd like to use the TVC between the preamp and amp and have it do the SE to balance conversion as well. TVCs are generally optimized for lower signal levels such as what you'd find coming out of a CD player, your planned application is not what they're made for.

What you could do is stick a TVC/AVC on the input of the preamp and then use another transformer on its output to do the SE/balanced conversion. That way both transformers run the way they're meant to and you don't have saturation or overload problems. Unfortunately the costs go up a fair bit, good transformers ain't cheap.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you could do is stick a TVC/AVC on the input of the preamp and then use another transformer on its output to do the SE/balanced conversion. That way both transformers run the way they're meant to and you don't have saturation or overload problems. Unfortunately the costs go up a fair bit, good transformers ain't cheap.

yeah, this is what Sowter recommended I do with the second transformer for conversion.

I think the key is to avoid Permalloy / mu-metal and thus allow higher voltages. I'm talking with 2 people about custom units from either grain oriented steel or a 50% Permalloy solution.

They are saying that I can get maximum input voltage up to around 25 VAC this way. The other option would be an air-gapped core, but that will reduce inductance by a factor and make the unit less suitable for volume control.

Now the question is how much DC these custom units can handle (since I'm moving away from Permalloy) and if I can use them to replace the coupling caps as well... stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Anyone buy a TVC from Promitheus Audio recently? Or any ideas if the wait times are still long with little communication? Thinking about trying a TVC and the basic SE should suit my needs nicely.

yeah, that would be my concern as well. No way to really know. I'd probably check AudioCircle (I think?) as Nick has a forum there, or look to buy used.

• 1 month later...

Hmm...

So I've really liked my Promitheus TVC, it did make quite a dramatic difference mainly in detail and resolution coming from a passive preamp. I actually listened to the speaker setup more than the Stax/BH rig after a few weeks with the TVC.

So now I'm naturally thinking about an upgrade. I could put together a silver S&B TX102 unit for roughly $1500 (after accounting for case, wiring, etc). Are there any others I should consider? I've emailed Tribute, but no reply yet. I'm also holding out for a copper TX102, but I don't know how easily I'll find one.

d'oh sorry about the pics Marc. If you remind me (or I see this thread) when I'm back in NH, I'll get them for you for sure :)

Edited by deepak

• 1 month later...
Yep Intact has moved high on the list, very reasonable prices :)

Just waiting to hear from Tribute.

It's not gonna be quick mate ,believe me :-)))

Peter does a great job truly ,but he is responding really slow ,

as well like supplying orders ,but they are definitely worth to wait for .

I always did :chair:

• 4 months later...