NHL 2008/2009 edition

grawk

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Leafs fan (and secret Habs fan... shhh!), so I have nothing good to add. >:(

As much as I hate the Leafs because they're Montreal eternal rivals, it saddens me to see them losing like they've been doing for the last couple of years. Toronto is one of the greatest hockey cities and the fans deserve a good club, unlike places like Nashville and Colombus where nobody cares about hockey. I'm all for a return to a 6-clubs league. :)

Lobby to create a new league, maybe you can get the habs and leafs to split off. The way to get a good team is to build one through the draft. The leafs have spent years trading their picks away and signing stupid contracts. They got what they deserved. That's what happens when you have a retirement fund manage a hockey team by committee.

Edited by grawk

Lobby to create a new league, maybe you can get the habs and leafs to split off. The way to get a good team is to build one through the draft. The leafs have spent years trading their picks away and signing stupid contracts. They got what they deserved. That's what happens when you have a retirement fund manage a hockey team by committee.

Can't argue with that. I'm just saying, hockey is the #1 sport in Toronto, unlike Nashville where it's probably less popular than darts.

The way to get a good team is to build one through the draft. The leafs have spent years trading their picks away and signing stupid contracts. They got what they deserved. That's what happens when you have a retirement fund manage a hockey team by committee.

You couldn't get that more right. We came close to a well-built team this year - at least they took some risks that made SOME sense, but I want to see a complete overhaul - including coaching staff and management on this god damned team. Outside of Kaberle (on the block), White and Stajan, and MAYBE Kubina, I can't think of a single player right now that I want to see remain.

As for the Leafs' fans "deserving" a quality franchise, I'd like to side with you, GPH, but I can't say I totally agree. We have the devoted fanbase, there's no question of that, but take a look at how Montreal is run as a CLUB compared to Toronto and tell me you aren't just a little bit disgusted. The fans deserve better than what we have now, and that starts with not opening your wallet to the MLSE.

I guess a seperate post is unnecessary here, but just take a look at the most entertaining teams in hockey right now: Washington and Montreal. The "new" NHL is custom-made for young firecrackers and once the dinosaurs in the back rooms start to catch on, we're going to see the kind of edge-of-your-seat hockey that hasn't been around since the mid-80s.

I have tremendous respect for "underdogs" that recognize the importance of a quality recruiting staff, and if you consider the amount of holy-shit moments the Caps and Habs have given us over the last few years... well, it just makes me yearn that much more for a good team to root for.

You're obviously not going back to the other thread I posted this in, but you seem to be paying attention here:

Welcome to the Bigs, 'Viper. Have fun. I know your skin is thick enough.

Now the important question is whether you will be attending CJ09 in LA in a couple of months? We will send stevieo up there personally to shame you into showing up, so you might as well commit now. :dotu:

Awww, was that in a thread? I got the PM. I had registered here a couple of years ago, actually, but left it dormant too long to recover. Grawk was good enough to let me have my name back.

As for CJ09... it's lookin' like a no-dice scenario this year, unfortunately. I do not intend for Florida to be my last though, rest assured!

Wow, Carbonneau fired and Gainey back behind the bench. I didn't see that one coming. :o

When did you stop living in montreal....:P

Gainey is part B of the same problem. For the sake of logic he should resign but nooooo......he waited ( and waited ) for an easy sequence in front of him before doing the dirty job.

With a lot of luck ''smiling Bob'' will follow Carbonneau at the end of the season.

Amicalement

PS

Gainey had made promises about a winning team five years ago to celebrate this special year....:palm:

When did you stop living in montreal....:P

Gainey is part B of the same problem. For the sake of logic he should resign but nooooo......he waited ( and waited ) for an easy sequence in front of him before doing the dirty job.

With a lot of luck ''smiling Bob'' will follow Carbonneau at the end of the season.

Amicalement

PS

Gainey had made promises about a winning team five years ago to celebrate this special year....:palm:

Well, to be fair, it seems like Carbonneau didn't have a good relationship with many players in the team (Laraque, B

1) My point was that the Carbonneau/Gainey association is the main source of this in deep poor performance. The Carbonneau relationship with his (now ex) players was not good but you probably remember that the very last coach was quite the opposite and we all saw where this lead him...(wait a minute he has a winning team right now...:palm:)

I'm not sure you can associate Carboneau and Gainey that easily, they both have different coaching styles. Gainey is calmer and more cold-blooded than Carbonneau and he's more appreciated by the players. Either way, like you, I doubt the problem was with the coach, but I still have faith that Gainey can do something about it.

Also, I think Montreal is more than an average team. We finished 1st in the East last year and the team didn't change that much since then. We have very talented players, but some of them are just way too lazy (thinking about K brothers here). Anyway, you're probably still living in the past with the Nordiques and all that. :D

OK, I've already talked way too much about hockey with friends today and this is starting to feel like a Ron Fournier show. :P

I think the problem with montreal is simple lack of patience.

So true, but it's not only the organization, a bunch of (headless) fans are like that here. I still can't believe there was a riot after the Habs eliminated Boston in the first round of last year playoffs.

Also, I never thought it would be Gainey's style to pull a Lamoriello, only time will tell if it's a good decision or not.