NHL 2008/2009 edition

grawk

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the ceremonies in Detroit was an embarrassment to hockey. They booed the Pens winning and chanted "Pittsburgh sucks" during the cup presentation is classless from the home of hockeytown. Their fans are good to take the backslap but won't acknowledge the fans of the Stanley Cup winner.

Spoiled!

Yeah fuck me. I said it.

Almost as bad as the pens "captain" not shaking hands with the wings.

Didn't watch the shake. He stiffed the Wings? OK, so he's a little punk. Motivation for next year.

Still, the awarding of the cup should be respected. It's history. I could see a "Crosby sucks" chant but dissing the fans and team that beat them just looks bad.

I was going to say Wings fans have a bit more class then that, after all their not fans of any Canada team...now those peeps are dicks!

I was about about to insult you, but then I thought it would only prove your point. I'm stuck. :D

I was about about to insult you, but then I thought it would only prove your point. I'm stuck. :D

haha..thats great!

There exists a subset of canadian fans that aren't dicks. I'm not sure the same is true of people in chicago :)

In Chicago we call them White Sox fans..just give them a wife beating t-shirt and a bottle of Budweiser to shut up..

Reviewed the ceremonies again and I don't get why Bettman don't just have the previous captain give the cup to the captain of the new champions. In uniform, on ice, unless of course you are giving it to yourself. He and Selig are endeared to the fans.

Crosby and a few others were real dicks about the handshake, dissing at least a third of the team. That's young sportsmanship for ya. If Mario doesn't have a talk to him about leadership and responsibility, he'll have a short career.

I have no luv for either team but that just ain't the way it went down. According to my eyes and the AP, "Crosby was ushered to several live TV interviews by NHL personnel..." before joining the handshake line. The NHL is so shakey about the league's future and PR that they put the media above tradition or anything else. Yeah Crosby is a whiney bitch but that is a whole nuther issue. Gary Bettman, he's just a wanker:

HNIC: Commissioner Gary Bettman Proves Why Hockey Fails in USA | Bleacher Report

• 2 weeks later...
The thrashers also picked up Nik Antropov.

He is a good fit (he played with Kovalchuk in Russia during the NHL lockout) if he can stay healthy.

That was a good pickup. Plus they are trying to move Kari Lehtonin, hopefully get another scoring threat for him. Might be a better year than I had hoped for. I have a feeling if they dont pull it together in the next two seasons they are gone.

• 5 weeks later...
Dan, what do you think of the Kings' trade to get Smyth. It appears that they gave up very little for him. I'm not familiar enough with him to know if it's a good deal or not.

I'm not informed enough at this point to know. I take the summers off from hockey news :)

Dan, what do you think of the Kings' trade to get Smyth. It appears that they gave up very little for him. I'm not familiar enough with him to know if it's a good deal or not.

I think it will depend which Ryan Smyth shows up. Leadership and mop up guy in front of the net. At 33, his best days are behind him but a spark in the right place could bring out his qualities and motivate him. He had 26 goals for Colorado last year so he can still score. Three years left on a fairly expensive contract may not be what the Kings wanted in their youth movement as grinder/mop up players are aplenty in the league and the Kings have enough of those type forwards.

The Kings fan site don't really give high marks to the move because he is on the the declining side of his career with a 3 year, $17mil. commitment. Others remember his C leadership for team Canada and hope he still has some gas left in the tank.

I think it will help a young Kings team challenge for a 7-8 spot.

IMO