Blue Circle SBD?

Aimless1

I've been looking for an external DAC and found this Blue Circle Audio. Haven't been able to find out much about it. One Soundstage review which didn't say much. Sketchy on detail. I haven't been able to determine the chip used. Not much info on forums regarding this DAC. Talked to a dealer yesterday and apparently it's not selling well. Introduced in March, 2007 so it's been out awhile.

Has anyone heard this? Or maybe the BC501? Any thoughts other than it is butt ugly?

BC owners seem to be a rabid bunch and repeat buyers, which is saying something. The dealer network seems pretty much composed of TV repair guys. Now there's an industry that's just about gone. Not much negative feedback. At least this seems positive.

The closest dealer is 2 1/2 hours away, and not on my way to anyplace in particular. Otherwise I would drive over for a listen.

that hand-drawn look is typical across most of Blue Circle's stuff. The designer apparently thinks it's hilarious.

All their signage at RMAF was "comically" misspelled and handwritten. I didn't particularly enjoy the sound of anything I heard in that room. Harsh, screechy and digital.

Thanks Sherwood. Doesn't "sound" like this DAC would suit me :o Accurate is fine but digital, harsh and screechy are not.

I'll probably get the DAC3 from the sale I put up here if it's still available. I had been looking at it and the North Star MKII. Hard to beat that price.:laugh:

I'm firmly in the accurate camp as well, dread, so it perhaps had something to do with the room and the heil-esque speakers they chose. Either way, nothing really wowed me in there. You may feel differently.

Sorry if I came across as or dissagreeing that wasn't my intention. The system I was hearing was years ago and in a fairly poorly setup room. For all I know they have something crappy going on now and it wouldn't surprise me.

As far as accurate = screechy for a lot of people that is true. The HD650's are laid back and so are many other phones that are supposedly accurate. I'm not saying artificially screechy but "accurate" usually ruins a lot of recordings (For some reason I can look past recording issues as long I know they are there). Flame away.