Krautrock recommendations?

deepak

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is a thread about Krautrock I think it's OK to ask folks this. Does any one have the following albums in flac or good vinyl rip:

NIAGARA

NIAGARA

LP United Artists Records UAS 29232 (1971)

S.U.B.(2/1972)

LP United Artists Records UAS 29343 (1972)

AFIRE (1972)

LP Finger 2960 102 (1973)

Great lists, thank you. I searched through the Hoffman pages and found some reccomendations for recording (but opinions are over the place there) was wondering if anyone could recommend certain recordings over other (faust, neu, ash ra, kraan, or any others). Just a few to get me started as these are long lists. Thanks

Great lists, thank you. I searched through the Hoffman pages and found some reccomendations for recording (but opinions are over the place there) was wondering if anyone could recommend certain recordings over other (faust, neu, ash ra, kraan, or any others). Just a few to get me started as these are long lists. Thanks

Kraan - Kraan (1972)

Kraan - Wintrup (1973)

Kraan - Andy Nogger (1974)

Faust - Faust (1971)

Faust - Faust IV (1974)

Thirsty Moon - Thirsty Moon (1972)

Can - Tago Mago (1971)

Can - Future Days (1973)

Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel (1971)

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn (1973)

Kollektiv - Kollektiv (1973)

[url=http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/manuel_gottsching]Manuel G

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been digging into Peter Frohmader / Nekropolis discography a bit deeper and for fans of modern dark electronics this should be very interesting as he was way ahead of the Dark Ambient and similar movements. This stuff is not really Kraut, but more of what I like to call Neo-kraut as it falls at the very end of the 1970's and beginning of the 1980's.

Recommended albums are:

Nekropolis - Musik aus dem Schattenreich (1981)

Nekropolis - Nekropolis 2 (1982)

Nekropolis - Cultes des Ghoules (1985)

These are also not bad but do not seem as interesting as his early stuff:

Nekropolis - Live (1983)

Peter Frohmader - Richard Pinhas - Fossil Culture (1999)

I would love to hear these but I cannot find them anywhere:

Peter Frohmader - Homunculus Vol. 1

Peter Frohmader - Homunculus Vol. 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I especially agree with the beautiful Tago mago, Faust I, Yeti.

I wanted to ask to the list an album called Magma - Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh, which apparently Faust didn't know. :D

I find it very good, somewhat epic. Of the three albums I mentioned above, it's closest to Amon Duul II's Yeti.

Magma is a great band.

I think Can is becoming my favorite kraut rock band. I never really properly listened to them when I only had the SACDs, they just didn't sound right. But the Spoon CDs sound so natural, and they really are a talented group of musicians.

Other than Tago Mago, I quite like Future Days, but it stands out less as a masterpiece. The other albums are less and less magnificent. :P

I probably like Faust over any other kraut band, mostly thanks to their first album (Faust), incredibly visionary and experimental, although less "sonically pleasing" than stuff like Tago Mago.

Have you heard Kraftwerk? Some very old stuff is worth digging into, like two visionary songs called Hall of Mirrors and Radioactivity (original version). The former is especially a trip. :D