does anyone try the LA5000 or LA7000?

d_rayman

A new custom title, I like this forum. Anyway, a new thread opened at the other forum here, somebody with 7 posts claims that the LA2000 trumps everything. I would certainly say so, but only in terms of the pricing, which is insanely high. He is waiting for a Rudi to drive it... These two really deserve each other...:palm:

Mark is the middleman..he doesn't strand or attach the wire and doesn't produce the wooded cups. I believe he attach's the finished cup for final assembly.

That makes for an expensive business venture and why his prices are up there a bit. I'm not making excuses for him...simply an observation.

The MD5000s still have the crazy EQ of the pre-modded phones, with excessive bass. I guess it's a taste thing though. I took the plunge and bought the mulga cups, as they reign in the treble and bass somewhat to give a more sane presentation. I'm not going to pay $500+ for a recable from him though, I'll DIY it myself for a couple of hundred less. You could argue that I'm insane for paying for the cups, but I like the result and the Denon "sound". Correspondingly, almost every other headphone I've used sounds boring to me, especially ATs, but Stax excepted.

As for paying insane amounts for headphones, I only have to say: Edition 9.

I'd like to know what the fuck you are going to buy for a recable that is going to cost you $300+ in materials? Or, maybe not :palm:

He never said that. He said he sold his R-10s.

You sure about that? :palm:

And, man, am I glad I did! Properly tweaked, this is the finest dynamic headphone I've heard to date (and I've owned almost all of the contenders). In fact, I liked them so much, I sold my beloved Sony MDR-R10 headphones ($4K list, scarce, legendary, lusted after, and now extinct) in favor of keeping the modified Denons. For Head-Fiers who go back a ways and are familiar with my posts, many found that hard to believe, knowing how much I deeply loved them Sonys.

After mod-ing the D5000, I found only a few small areas in which the R10 came out ahead. But in all the fundamentals, I could not deny that the Denons were a significant upgrade. And at approximately 1/8th the price!

Taken from this pile of rubbish.

I'm of the opinion ,given his current business venture that his post should have been heavily edited since it's probably his biggest advertising tool.

He never said that. He said he sold his R-10s.

Well, only he knows whether or not he really did prefer his markl modded denons over his R-10.

Ever since a while back, i got the feeling that his statements were more of a push in the advertisment direction. His impressions on his denons compared to his R-10s seemed a little rushed, to be of any real consideration at the time. It seems that time has told the truth, and those who have compared have usually said that the R-10s are in a different league, higher that is.

I know i've listened to the Markl D5000s and the R10s right next to each other. It was only a short 15 min audition at most, but from that, it was pretty clear that the denons were not up to the performance of the R10s, its false imo for him to claim that these perform at or at a better level than the R10s. But like i said, 15 mins isnt going to give any real impression, but i dont really have any interest in the Markl D5000s to investigate.

its false imo for him to claim that these perform at or at a better level than the R10s.

Nothing false in that. If that's what he hears, he has a right to have his own opinion. There are no absolutes, false, wrong, true, etc. in audio because hearing is damn subjective. My opinion is that the D5000 sucks in general from the short audition that I had with them and I thought they were outclassed by Stax Gamma driven by a transformer, but my impressions aren't more true than markl's opinion.

With that said, what is very wrong is the fact that he uses his experience with high-end cans (R10 in this case) to convince noobs that they don't need to spend 3000$ to get top of the line headphones.

GPH,

I agree with what you say, this is a rule i live by and its definately not wrong to think a certain way about something in audio. I have no problem with someone whos opinion is that bose triports actually sound better to them than the orpheus.(gross example) Thats their opinion, and its the truth to them.

When i said "false", i was trying to imply that he didn't really prefer the markl d5000s to his r10s, and was using his experience like you said, to sway people unaware or new to headphones. But like i said, only he will know for certain what he really liked and disliked.

I have little respect for the man.. Supporting Jenna Labs after destroying a customers R10, then insulting him in the process.. & playing good cop/bad cop in regards to Alex who fixed them.. Mark was suggesting, that Alex ONLY did this to get more attention for his business.. Alex didn't post the topic on Head Fi, on grateful owner did.. Head fi, did nothing to Jenna labs.. How about suspend their sponsorship? Wait, they making money off JL buffoonery. This just in, the 48's are now better then the R10's cause I said so..:o

I followed that thread with interest, wanting to see if he would really sell the R10s. Based on some of the feedback I have read, it feels more like a marketing ploy than a genuine discovery of a better can.

Granted, I have never heard the Denons and have flirted with the idea several times (including recently) of trying them, but the DT770s keep popping up in my head. I just let the PL750s go, I do not another bass heavy, mid deprived headphone.

2 cents.

I'd like to know what the fuck you are going to buy for a recable that is going to cost you $300+ in materials? Or, maybe not :palm:

The same cable is $5/foot. I've put off doing it, as I don't really want to spend that on cable that's going to look like shit in a year after it has oxidised, and I have Stax which I prefer for quite a bit of music anyway.

You sure about that? :palm:

I stand corrected. I recalled the first part, not the "significant upgrade" comment.

I regret that the only chance I had to hear R-10s was neither with a fantastic source or amp, and not for long enough with enough music to form an opinion either.