Von Schweikert VR-1, anyone tried/own?

wrecked_porsche

Hey guys, anyone here tried/own a pair Von Schweikert VR-1 bookshelf speakers? My cousin's friend is selling a brand new pair for $1000. Apparently the guy liked it soo much he bought two pairs back in the day with one serving as backup. The set he is selling is the backup set which is new and unused. I have no experience when it comes to speakers so I

Why not stop by his place with your cousin and have a listen? Or go to the local audio shop?

Yup, I fully intent to do so(visit that guy for an audition) before I buy them. Its just that I'm very busy the next two weeks and also a little short on cash, so was just wondering if these are really quite good; i.e. good enough for me to tell the guy to hold these for me. I've been in situations before where I took something for granted and the next thing I knew, *poof* the item was out of my reach/grasp because it was sold.

I was just hoping that someone had tried these and maybe able to post about some of that speaker's shortcomings that I should look out for when I audition them? All I see mostly praise for it when I do some online digging?

You can get VR-1s a lot cheaper than that. There is a brand new pair on agon right now for $700 and I know I've seen them cheaper used.

Shipped to Malaysia, though?

Audio stuff is quite expensive over here in Malaysia...

New W5000 --> roughly $1200 $1350

New HD650 --> $390

New ES7 --> $136

New VR-1 --> $1500

Used Quad 11L (pasive) --> $395

Used Quad 12L (pasive) --> $451

So yeah, things are pretty much screwed up over here...

Thanks for the heads up kpeezy, however if I were to get those ones that are currently listed on Audiogon (those are used though?) then I'd have to factor in shipping to Jay's(JBLoudG20) place, then factor in more shipping to may place here i Malaysia, then add 5% pp fees, then add to that the very real risk of me being ass rapped by my local customs officers... (they are mostly corrupt, rude and dishonest bitches :asshat:), I figure I might as well pay the guy the $1000 he is asking for them and avoid all the additional hassle.

The weight/package for those speakers shipped from the audiogon seller is huge and I doubt they will slip by customs without any fuss. If I was desperate I might go down that route though. Maybe Jay could under declare it and minimize the ass raping I get from local customs.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. :)

I probably might just dew eet though (buy the VR-1)... Still contemplating... :jacob:

• 2 weeks later...

I own VR-4 GenIIs, which are probably 3-4 generations prior to these (so maybe not valid or worthwhile). I've been quite happy with these and bought them without listening to them :eek:

My younger brother had a pair and recommended them to me; since I trust his hearing, I thought it should be fine. It was.