Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested in your thoughts about the differences between/similarities to the PWD.

In terms of similarities, I think they are comparable in soundstage, macro detail, bass, and in that both have a 'warmer' sound.

However, the Ayre has a much blacker background (this could be the async USB implementation), and as a result much more resolving power and micro detail. Cliche, but I keep hearing subtle things that I've never picked up in my records before, like guitar string reverberations.

At the same time, it also has a much better sense of timing, and a much more natural presentation that sounds far less "digital" than the PWD (sorry, more cliched audiophile jargon, but I feel it's the best way to describe it).

Finally, it also betters the PWD in terms of tonality - I felt there was something a bit off in this regard with the PWD, making some things sound unnatural.

Overall, while I thought the PWD was a decent upgrade from the ECD1 in most respects, my biggest problem with it was that it seemed to be missing a certain sense of fun and involvement that the ECD1 had. The QB-9, on the other hand, is engaging and enjoyable, while sonically improving on the ECD1 in every aspect (no mid-range bloom either).

FWIW, I was using the PWD through its Coax input using my M2Tech Hiface. Perhaps the network bridge will improve on its sound, whenever it arrives.

Edited by rogue

• 4 weeks later...
This question might sound a bit silly, but is there anywhere to purchase this online or do they only sell through local distributors?

I had asked one of their reps on AVS that same question and was told "no" in regards to online for any of their products.

I'm hoping someone here surprises us with good news.

Offhand: Has anyone compared one of these Ayres to the Cambridge 840c?

I had asked one of their reps on AVS that same question and was told "no" in regards to online for any of their products.

I'm hoping someone here surprises us with good news.

This kinda sucks for people living outside the u.s. but oh well, maybe in the future there will be a dealer that can sell them online, or I'll have to go with something else instead...

Their website has a list of international dealers. Do you happened to not live in one of those countries? Maybe contacting Ayre will help.

yep! I guess if someone sells a used one I could get that instead as mentioned above.

I've been looking for a good dac for awhile now, either spdif or usb or both, around ~$2k but I can go up a bit. Anybody have any suggestions? It's to go with a KGSS.

Not directly, but I used to own an 840c so I can offer some thoughts based on memory. In short, the Ayre is better in most every respect - resolution, dynamics, etc. Of particular note is the treble, which I found a bit harsh and grainy on the 840c, making certain recordings rather fatiguing; on the Ayre it is smooth and perhaps slightly rolled-off, but very, very natural.

But what's most striking about going from something like the 840c to something like the Ayre is a pronounced sense of effortlessness and musicality that you get. It's one of those things thats hard to put in words, but simply put, it sounds closer to the real thing, while the 840c in contrast sounds more like a digital representation of music, albeit a good one.

Nonetheless, for what I paid for my 840c ($850), the Ayre damn well better be a league above at 3x the price. However, I'm pretty sold on it, as you can probably tell =-)

yeah that's one thing I don't really like about the Ayre(not like I own it but still...), only usb input, couldn't they go an extra step and add a toslink/spdif? Computers also have those connections, so no reason not to add them...

I looked at the PWD, it seems good but I'm not crazy about that touch screen, I've not read any comparison between that and the QB-9 either, does anyone know how they match-up?

yeah that's one thing I don't really like about the Ayre(not like I own it but still...), only usb input, couldn't they go an extra step and add a toslink/spdif? Computers also have those connections, so no reason not to add them...

I looked at the PWD, it seems good but I'm not crazy about that touch screen, I've not read any comparison between that and the QB-9 either, does anyone know how they match-up?

I thought Rogue did a nice comparison in this thread. As for the PWD, I was a touch screen skeptic and now like it, but I am not psyched for when it fails. The other thing about the PWD is that there are a lot of interesting things in the pipeline for it. That said, I am wondering if they may be getting a bit hung up on bells and whistles.

I have not yet read anything bad about the Ayre.