Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

I'm not acquainted with the guy or if he's a douche that deserves banning or not.

Exactly, I have no context for the opinion that he's offering. Only that he made a seemingly offhand comment that pretty much dismissed the Alpha DAC. Or at least that's the way that I read it. So now I'm trying to figure out where he was coming from and yes, so far he's struck me as a douche so I'm not exactly coddling him while doing it. Maybe he considers his ECD-1 to be "just another mid-fi DAC" but heck if I know what his definition of mid-fi is.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, I have no context for the opinion that he's offering. Only that he made a seemingly offhand comment that pretty much dismissed the Alpha DAC. Or at least that's the way that I read it. So now I'm trying to figure out where he was coming from and yes, so far he's struck me as a douche so I'm not exactly coddling him while doing it. Maybe he considers his ECD-1 to be "just another mid-fi DAC" but heck if I know what his definition of mid-fi is.

Mid-fi is a relative term. You were absolutely correct that I dismissed Alpha when I heard it in comparison with the dCS stack. dCS was so much ahead of the Alpha in term of its realistic rendering of instruments. I am sure, by itself, Alpha is great, just like many other components, but we don't live in a vacuum so everything is relative in this hobby. Granted I did listen on an unfamiliar system, but I was listenigin to the recordings I was very very familiar with.

Honestly, between C5-xe and ECD-1, I suspect ECD-1 has the mid-fi DAC (Ayre doesn't have a DAC on par with C5-xe, yet). I can't afford a C5-xe, so ECD-1 will do for now (a big upgrade from DAC1 thanks to a number of Monkey's posts here)

I think my comments are relevant regardless. He's comparing a ~3k stetup to a 30k setup in a system that he's largely unfamiliar with and claiming that not only is the $30k setup superior (color me unsurprised) but that the Alpha DAC is just another mid-fi piece of equipment. I'd like to know how exactly he reached that conclusion since I don't think Jeff is exactly a shilling moron here to sell us on the Alpha and may have heard some ok rigs in his time.

Jeff is actually shilling the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC in the Ayre USB DAC thread, and the first mention of either Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC or the dCS stack came into play from comments about Chris Connaker's Ayre USB DAC review and then Cunty_Shallow piped up about how fantastic the dCS stack was in comparison to the "mid-fi" Alpha DAC based entirely on one session at Sound by Shithead. Does it all make sense now? :palm:

My main question is whether SbS was playing hi-rez or just CDs? The Alpha DAC really shines -- and is really intended for -- hi-rez music. That comparison done by somebody I trust would mean something. Of course, when I heard the Spectral 4000 CDP up against the Alpha DAC, the Spectral was much better, and three times as much money.

Edited by Voltron

If the ECD-1 is a mid-fi DAC but a big upgrade from the DAC1 what does that make the DAC-1? I'm not trying to nit pick you to death but to me mid-fi is an odd term and perhaps hard to quantify given how wide a range we might be expecting it to cover with the examples you're using. And if the high-end doesn't even start with something like the Alpha then where does it?

None of it makes sense but if people don't stop calling me a shill I will be forced to respond with force. :chair:

NOT THE THUMBS!

gosh...no need to get defensive here... I have a lot of respect for you n_maher (I am actually using cables you DIYed for me :D

I am just putting down my thoughts after listening to both DACs for hours side by side. I trust my hearing and I know what I like. This is personal preference and is in no way reflecting the absolute performance of either DAC

I was just using Nate's term, Jeff, so please don't take control of my head! :eek::P

Nobody thinks you are shilling, but it was funnier to keep that line going. No offense intended.

Good, my shilling business is just getting up off the ground and I do not need you guys causing me trouble. :P

Yeah, but you liked a Darkvoice and B52 better than the Dynahi. Just going from that, anything seems possible.

what's your point? DV337 sounds fantastic with 650 as does B52.

But then again, my taste in gear has changed over time. Now days, I look for more realistic, more analog-like and more musical sounds in equipments over sounds that are technically superior but lacking the realism factor. I am more mid-range and treble focused now whereas before I would take bass performance as one of the most important factors in my decision making.

If you like Dynahi, you should get one. It's a great amp, but runs hot as hell.

Ok..can we please get back to talking about the Ayre DAC? I am thinking about getting it along with Touch so I can finally have my all-Ayre system.

TC, I didn't see where you mentioned anything about the Ayre DAC. :confused:

I think you lost me at Opera>M^3 and all the crazy imp mismatching explanations.

I made a off-the-cuff comment about Alpha v dCS stack and got the mob coming after me; that's where we spent 2 pages arguing over whether I am a douche. I hope we can get back to talking about the Ayre DAC, perhaps how it works or doesn't work with Touch.

FYI..I have had my 2nd M3 with sigma for a couple of weeks now. I still feel Opera is the superior amp in terms of mid-range presence and realism, and in term of its HF analog-like quality. M3 has gotten better with sigma compared to STEPS..it's better, just not quite "there".

I made a off-the-cuff comment about Alpha v dCS stack and got the mob coming after me; that's where we spent 2 pages arguing over whether I am a douche. I hope we can get back to talking about the Ayre DAC, perhaps how it works or doesn't work with Touch.
Not sure how you'd use it with the Touch regardless of whether you're talking Logitech or Apple Touch since it is USB input only.

Not sure how you'd use it with the Touch regardless of whether you're talking Logitech or Apple Touch since it is USB input only.

In one of the SD forum threads, I remember reading someone mentioned Touch can provide USB output to USB DACs. I could be wrong though.

found the thread: Touch USB port as digital output to DAC? - Squeezebox : Community : Forums