Ayre USB DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not worth it unless you use a computer as your primary source. I really like the sound, though others here have been less impressed. But from a utility perspective, you'd be far better off buying a used C5xe if you want to try an Ayre and still mostly spin CDs.

Well, I got itchy and ordered one anyway. It's cheap, so what the hell....... I have never used any computer as a source. If this thing sounds halfway decent, I may look at Linn DS or Berkeley. I have over 3000 CD's on the ship, and I am running out of space to keep them all, and worry about shipping them home eventually. Right now, I am using an Esoteric DV 60 feeding a Reimyo DAP 999, as well as a Linn Unidisk 1.1, so I'm OK in the spin department. I sent my P-03/D-03/G-0Rb combination safely home.

Thanks to all for the tips.

I'd just switch to FLAC (or ALAC if you prefer that) Bob. I used to be a hardcore CD guy but now I do almost all of my listening with the computer feeding a DAC. To supplement the Ayre you could also just buy a USB transport so you can keep using the Reimyo. Some of them even have async.

I'd just switch to FLAC (or ALAC if you prefer that) Bob. I used to be a hardcore CD guy but now I do almost all of my listening with the computer feeding a DAC. To supplement the Ayre you could also just buy a USB transport so you can keep using the Reimyo. Some of them even have async.

No shit? School me more, Obi-Wan. I just bought it because I am pissed about not being able to go home this month and felt like spending some money. The only other serious considerations I have had have been the Linn DS's (probably the Akurate) or a Berkeley DAC, which I did hear at Goodwin's on a business trip.

(looks at wallet) Not when you can't stop buying watches, it isn't.

I think I am giving up on watches for some time. The Daytona is basically a pretty twelve thousand dollar turd. In retrospect, I should have spent that money on my audio, or some mods to my car. The watch I wear the most is a simple stainless Omega Constellation. It runs great, is comfortable, and looks good.

No shit? School me more, Obi-Wan. I just bought it because I am pissed about not being able to go home this month and felt like spending some money. The only other serious considerations I have had have been the Linn DS's (probably the Akurate) or a Berkeley DAC, which I did hear at Goodwin's on a business trip.

Given how much you like the Reimyo then a USB transport would be a good idea and the simplest solution. I use a Trends UD10.1 which has a wide range of connectors but something like this would work just fine for testing the technology. A generic 75ohm coax to the APL and that's all there is to it. Foobar streaming files from the server located in the other room.

I'm going to build something like the Sooloos with a touchscreen and a small PC (a cashiers PC would do the trick) and then drop CD's as a whole. :)

Given how much you like the Reimyo then a USB transport would be a good idea and the simplest solution. I use a Trends UD10.1 which has a wide range of connectors but something like this would work just fine for testing the technology. A generic 75ohm coax to the APL and that's all there is to it. Foobar streaming files from the server located in the other room.

I'm going to build something like the Sooloos with a touchscreen and a small PC (a cashiers PC would do the trick) and then drop CD's as a whole. :)

Thanks - I'll check out the links.

I'll check it out. The one I requested through my dealer is back ordered. Thanks.

I would highly recommend that if you're going the Weiss route you go with their commercial units since the internals are identical (according to the manufacturer and all internal photos I've seen). They don't look as nice though. I tried out a DAC2 and it was very nice.

My local Naim dealer doesn't have it listed yet, either, so I don't know the price. This is a gross generalization, but in my experience Naim gear sounds best with Naim gear. There is a distinct house sound and approach to gear. Whether that applies at all or to the same extent in the case of a DAC is a good question.