Senn HD380s tiny-review

oogabooga

I had a chance to demo some HD380s yesterday (through an Apogee Mini-DAC). I listened to some rock (Tragically Hip) and Gordon Downie's voice sounded "hollowed out", like part of his voice was missing. Trebles were weak. Bass, on the other hand, was good, but I'm not a bass-head. I listened to a few more rock and electronic tracks but it was pretty clear to me that none of my music was going to sound like music with these cans. Isolation and fit were both good, not that it really matters. My search for closed cans continues...

• 1 month later...
No it's not - it's related to the PXC 350/450 but without the ANR.

My favourite Sennheiser closed cans were always the HD 250 Mk.I when it came to the reproduction of music (now sadly discontinued even the Mk.II :( ).

Welcome John! Don't have anything to add to the thread though, except that I saw an FR graph and it wasn't too abominable.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I owned them, and didn't like them.

They clamp a lot when you have a big head.

The sound is weird, especially on the highs.

There's a spike in the mid highs, and then they rapidly roll off, leaving nothing of upper highs.

Pros: they fold, are closed, and are black.

Cons: this is the only thread on them on head-case.

Any second opinions? Their big competition, IMHO, are the Shures, which are continuing to be quite enjoyable with wonderfully black backgrounds.

I'll second you, and raise you "decent bass, highs ARE extended some but sound COMPLETELY artificial." I like my 280's (recabled) better, they aren't horrible after lots of playing time on them.

Senn 380 was perhaps the biggest headphone mistake I've made, luckily bought them used and it wasn't HUGE.

BTW.....anyone want to buy a pair of Senn 380's in great condition? :D:p Anyone? Bueller?

Dang......:basement: to myself

• 2 weeks later...