[REVIEW] Shure SE102

site_img_pa_se102_l.png

This time we are looking at some IEM or just entry level Shure. They are designed to work with music players on-the-go with high noise isolation.

Bundle

Nothing really special here, 4 sets of silicon tips of different sizes, a carrying case, a extender cable (you will need it useless you hang your iPod on your face.)

Build

Real solid product, looks and feels like it can withstand many years of abuse from me. Cables are tough and a bit on the hard side, the cable leading from the headphone isn't that high quality, its just like standard cable to me, massive room for improvement. Worth noting that the extension cable have build quality leagues above the whole headphone, lots of copper, thick, strong yet very flexible. If you wonder why this is the case, it is because it is the same extension cable used on the high end SE530 too.

Initial Impression

OHSHI~!

Have I brought a fake?

Well to be honest, it sounds TERRIBLE out the box. Worse than all my headphone collection, including iBuds, gaming headset... So I throw them in a drawer and start burning-in with pink noise before returning them.

After Burn-in

OHSHI~!

Again, I am shocked, but pleasantly surprised that how much it transformed. From a piece of junk, into a pair of wonderful headphones. The mid is slightly recessed, so is the low-end, the headphones are leaning toward to being a bit bright, however I really liked the end result, its pleasant to listen to. It have lots of detail but quite slow(Dunno how being slow and detailed at the same time), can't cope with really complex passage that well. Having said so, it's still a solid product.

Isolation

The strength of IEM is isolation, these performs really well in this area once you get a good fit. They isolation just enough so that normal noises can't detract you from the music but not enough to disconnect you from the current world. I think this a good as you can hear loud noise like a car's horn or someone shouting loudly for help, still they are not a good product to use on a busy street as you are less alerted. One interesting note, even you are isolated pretty well the IEM, amplify internal noise quite loudly, footsteps will become quite loud and you may even hear you own heartbeat when it is quiet enough. (I certainly do.)

Overall

They are excellent replacement for your stock headphone bundled with your music player and irreplaceable to a frequent traveller. The isolation certain with reduce more noise than active noise cancelling headphones, but does increase internal noise. The sound is above average, but have room for improvements, built quality is rather good and comes with a 2 years warranty. Not recommended to bassheads due to its light bass, or people who need full attention due to its isolation. I still found them excellent for a small portable setup.

RRP:

Hey OP:

I don't mind review threads, but some points of reference would be nice. I don't know you or where you're coming from. What similar equipment have you tried? What are your amp and source? What music do you listen to? We're not HF, and we don't just tell people "Hey nice review!" when it's not warranted.

All I can gather is that the D1001 is your reference, but I have no experience or interest in that. Not that I'm interested in the SE102 either... but still. Give me something to work with.

Hey OP:

I don't mind review threads, but some points of reference would be nice. I don't know you or where you're coming from. What similar equipment have you tried? What are your amp and source? What music do you listen to? We're not HF, and we don't just tell people "Hey nice review!" when it's not warranted.

All I can gather is that the D1001 is your reference, but I have no experience or interest in that. Not that I'm interested in the SE102 either... but still. Give me something to work with.

I don't pay much attention or usually fully read reviews from people I don't know, and especially with username that I would have to work to remember.

This is certainly a new twist to the typical HW welcome... I don't recall user names being critiqued before. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will post the appropriate links.

SE102 suck donkey gonads... I didn't like them at all. My lossless rips sounded like FM radio -- flat and muddy. For the price, I think there are much better alternatives. I'd rather pick up something like the Sennheiser CX300 instead (under $30).