Woodworking/building question

Pars

I need to build a new set of steps from the attached garage to the house. I always like the ones a friend of mine has, and went out and bought the materials for them. These are what I would call box steps, but I haven't had any luck on finding plans for something like this online.

I was planning on doing these with 2x8 framing on 12" centers and 3/4" plywood. Bottom section would be 5' x 31" and top 36" x 18".I attached a pic of the ones at my friend's house. I'm not sure how the overhang is done on these. Is it just the plywood, or something else?

Any suggestions welcome.

post-432-12951153909407_thumb.jpg

That overhang is most likely not plywood.

Personally I would frame them as you described, but with pressure treated material, then cover the framing with pressure treated 1"x8" material for the risers, because they'll be contacting concrete, and could wick up moisture from it.

It looks to me as though the builder cut his plywood a few inches short for the tread material, and probably used some solid pine to face them with. I would secure the pine to the plywood with biscuits and glue.

plywoodtreadwithpineedg.png

Thanks Steve. I may try that, think my boss has a biscuit joiner I could borrow.

Here is another pic that shows the carpet detail a bit better. Looks like the outer frame is thicker than whatever is underneath it (I assumed plywood). I had considered using an "L" shaped pine molding piece to do this right on the plywood, but I am not sure how it would hold up.

post-432-12951153910569_thumb.jpg