xand1x's Micro Meet in Richmond Hill!

xand1x

Had Colin (cetoole) over tonight because he was staying in Toronto for a few days. Had a blast at Turtle Jack's (best burgers in Canada bar none) and a good listening session at my place. I have no impressions because I have nothing new to say about my rig. Will post a few pictures and maybe Colin can chime in. Just want to say thanks Colin for showing up and hopefully the rain won't stop you from visiting again! :) Next time I promise a better stock of whisky too haha.

I took Colin on a mini tour of house.. I figure I owe the rest of head-case the same courtesy:

1010112.jpg

1010114i.jpg

1010115m.jpg

1010116.jpg

1010117s.jpg

1010119.jpg

1010123.jpg

1010124.jpg

1010126.jpg

The Listening Area:

1010105n.jpg

1010104.jpg

1010103.jpg

1010110.jpg

Edited by xand1x

I just got back from Matt's place, which rocked. I agree, the burgers at Turtle Jacks are quite good, as were the fries. I had a great time listening to some familiar tunes, and it was nice to get a good listening session in on a good rig, as I have been living with my laptop, touch, and MX560 buds for the past week. This is the first time I have had any serious time with either the K340 or the K1000, not counting short periods at noisy meets. As seen in Matt's pictures, we were using a Squeezebox transport with lossless audio files, to a Parasound D/AC 1600HD DAC, and a Hafler P1000 amplifier. Both headphones were terminated to spades, and had some fancy wire on them.

I really enjoyed the K1000, and IMO, it is one of the best dynamic headphones I have heard. K340, not so much, though I was happy to have the chance to listen to them a bit. My only slight issues with the K1000 is they were a bit more tipped towards the treble than I personally prefer, though I didnt play with the toe of the drivers at all, and it was the sort of brightness I can certainly live with. They were also missing a bit of the lowest bass, but I didnt generally miss it too much. The K340 are quite different, much slower, less smooth response, and just generally didnt sound too good to my ears. Bit muddy and with an odd coloration in the mids. Forgetting now though, as we listened to them first and I quickly was wanting to change over to the K1000.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, very richmond hill, one of the few neighbourhoods in canada that rivals where i grew up when it comes to haughty-taughty-ness: west vancouver (specifically caufeild... and before all you Vancouverites start calling me rich boy, we were the one not-rich family, long story...)

you are telling me a frigging chain has best burgers in canada, eh? that is one lofty claim my friend! hopefully i will have time to verify... i am probably going to be in tee-dot on business in a little over a week pulling a couple of all-nighters totally revamping a client's network at their eaton center store, might have to see if i can get up there to try that out and see how it compares to my Vancouver favourites (#1 - moderne burger, #2 - splitz grill, both of which also have amazing fries and shakes) which will be EXTREMELY hard to top. assume you guys went to the jefferson square one? looks like the closest to DT...

btw, poast pics of bass gear!

Nice place!

Colin, don't judge all K340s on that particular pair. That pair is the polar opposite of my old pair. I had them with me for a couple of weeks, as Alex sent them to me after he recabled them. I made the wooden trim pieces for a different Matt, who owned them at the time.

I also found these to be muddy, with an odd midrange coloration. I assumed these were what people refer to as the bass heavy version, but they sound nothing at all like the pair I owned for 27 years, and I did plenty of direct comparisons.

As for the K1000, toe out can definitely help to tune them to your taste, although I tend to like the treble. I also am quite fond of using them with an active subwoofer. It's an experience that's hard to explain. Much closer to speaker presentation than any headphone can come. I'm still kicking myself for not buying them back when they were first introduced. They are my ultimate headphone.

Nice place!

Colin, don't judge all K340s on that particular pair. That pair is the polar opposite of my old pair. I had them with me for a couple of weeks, as Alex sent them to me after he recabled them. I made the wooden trim pieces for a different Matt, who owned them at the time.

I also found these to be muddy, with an odd midrange coloration. I assumed these were what people refer to as the bass heavy version, but they sound nothing at all like the pair I owned for 27 years, and I did plenty of direct comparisons.

As for the K1000, toe out can definitely help to tune them to your taste, although I tend to like the treble. I also am quite fond of using them with an active subwoofer. It's an experience that's hard to explain. Much closer to speaker presentation than any headphone can come. I'm still kicking myself for not buying them back when they were first introduced. They are my ultimate headphone.

I would have to agree. I used to own a "bass light" version of the K340 (Philodox's first pair) a few years ago and the two pairs are, in my opinion, light years apart. I actually prefer the version I have now over that one but I guess to each his own. That is the weird thing about K340s heh