Tour de France

freckling

I record the live coverage show on Versus every day and watch it in the evening or whenever. I am often [relatively] bored by flat stages but these have been amazing. Looking forward to some big action today.

Boonen just needs a little toot and he'll be back on form. cocaineDM2310_228x271.jpg

I love the mountain stages those are the most grueling and exciting especially when Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen mention how steep the climbs are in feet and percent grade. I have a 11% and 13% climb at the end of my Saturday rides but they are only a fraction of a mile, I can't imagine suffering through climbs like that for miles. :eek:

Man, averaging 24 mph with the last section climbing to 1500 meters of elevation, that is smoking! It takes strong legs and a huge heart to grind out through the mountain stages like those guys are doing. The mountain stages are always some of the most exciting stages in the Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching the stage. Quite exciting, and Lance really was impressive coming back to the yellow jersey group. Alberto seems untouchable but tomorrow's killer stage and the time trial will be very interesting. Very sorry about Jens Voigt who is one of my favorite domestiques. That crash was scary but he didn't get hurt nearly as bad as I thought.

I'm pretty pissed that Alberto rode off on the Colombiere because Johan B says that he was not in favor of it. I think Alberto wanted Lance and Kloden to lose time and if he had not made that move and ended up dropping Kloden and advancing with the Schlecks then at least Lance would be in 2nd or 3rd. TT will be quite interesting but I don't think the gaps are going to be really large. Ventoux is going to decide things....

I am watching Ventoux now. Am I the only one who noticed the guy BAing Lance and the camera on Lance's final 5K of the time trial? Pretty funny and I am surprised it doesn't happen more in the TDF nowadays. Crushing day.

Alberto is self serving and may find it tough to have his domestics kill themselves for him next year unless he gets his act together. Maybe with Lance off team Astana the "team" dynamics will change.

The Ventoux delivers today, as always. Didn't see any BAs along the way, but plenty of people. Between 500K and a million apparently. Alberto was selfish but wanted a cushion and got it at the expense of an Astana podium sweep and some respect. Radio Shack will be an interesting team. I have to look at the news, but is Johan going to be the director?

I thought today was amazing. I really don't see Contador as particularly self serving. Did lance slow down the split so that Contador could catch up in the early stages? No. Did anyone give him shit? No actually they gave Contador shit for not keeping up. Seems to me if Lance had done identical things all would be forgiven.

As far as that attack can see Contador not particularly wanting to listen to Johan since Johan didn't even have the nuts to go with the guy who was the stronger rider from the beginning. Today Contador rode a perfect team mates race and even paced Lance up once or twice.

I just hope these Contador doping accusations are entirely false. It's too bad that this in this sport everyone lives under a cloud.

Completely forgot I started this topic. I kept up with the race by watching the live video streams off my laptop.

About Contador being self-serving...of course he is, and so is Lance. However, the difference is that Lance followed the split while Alberto was the one who dropped his own teammate.

While it hasn't officially been decided, I would be shocked if Bruyneel didn't direct Team RadioShack.

I can't wait for next year. Alberto will most assuredly be the favorite, but the Schleck brothers and LA will be there at the end again.

I sure as hell hope Cavendish isn't found out to be doping, but what the hell can explain his kick? Unfuckingbelievable that he and his awesome lead-out man simply rode away from the pack and that he then put a couple bike lengths on his teammate. Quite something.

Next year is going to be great. I hope Hincapie is on Team Radio Shack -- did you happen to notice him pulling the Columbia line for the last stretch? George is the best.

George is the best, and from what I understand a really nice guy too. I hope he rides next year and gets the respect he has earned. I hope there are no doping scandals this year, and the sport has cleaned up it's act.

Hincapie is awesome. Too bad Garmin went out of their way to stop him from riding in the yellow jersey for a day.

We won't know about any doping results until much later considering how long it took them to find evidence of CERA during the Giro. Most of the riders are still cheating in some shape or form, but at the same time, cycling is still 10x cleaner than 90% of the professional sports out there. I'd love to see how baseball or football reacts to having the biological passport program. The passport is pretty tough to beat, and even if you do beat it, it's debatable that what you're using isn't really going to help after all.