Dodson DA-217 MK II D

The Monkey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) the company that bought Dodson, Silversmith Audio, still upgrades the units, but this one is as close to the 218 version as it can get; and 3) the new DA 218 Palladium version is still being sold--for $8k.

Jeff Silversmith preferred not to share the schematic, but he seems like a pretty nice guy.

Jeff *is* a nice guy, but I thought the Palladium version simply had the output wiring to the jacks replaced with their "Palladium" wiring, probably a few inches at most.

I'm somewhat surprised to find the op-amp output stage instead of discrete, which I presume is also inside the 218, which is a very nice sounding DAC. I suppose OPA627 is not a bad choice if going non-discrete...

Ok, a bit of an update here. It appears that the Dodson is edging out the ECD-1. I'd like to confirm that with the Beta, but so far the nod goes to the Dodson for its better soundstage and more coherent presentation. Mrs. Monkey preferred it to because she found it less "muted" when compared to the ECD-1.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Silversmith audio tonight to see about getting the power supply and second coax upgraded (for $100). I've also asked them if they can make the metal cage moar better after I messed it up a bit. Finally, I asked if there are any further upgrades that can be performed while they have it opened up (though as mentioned, it seems there are probably no more to do). Will keep everyone posted.