AVVT Tubes

Rob N

Be very careful with the AVVT tubes because they have reliability issues, you are much safer to go with EML, same thing as falkon above just posted. You'll notice the build quality on the AVVT compared to EML is much worse. I had on loan a set of the AVVT 2a3's and they would actually arc on power down, sending a huge pop through speakers/headphones (and actually blew out one of my original cicada drivers).

I thought EML had had reliability problems as well?

Nowhere NEAR what the AVVT had. The EML's are much more reliable and stable. I have been using my EML 45's for over a year without a hitch and expect them to last at least another 5-10 years. I don't think any of the new companies can hold a candle to NOS American and British but of the new tube companies EML is one I trust, Shuguang from China is another one.

I have the Shuguang treasure 300BZ's at the moment

Do you like the sound of those Rob? I heard them in the Woo gear at CJ09 and did not come away terribly impressed. I only heard them briefly, so I don't put much weight on my impression. What amp are you using? I assume you never got back your SDS-XLR, which is a travesty.

Do you like the sound of those Rob? I heard them in the Woo gear at CJ09 and did not come away terribly impressed. I only heard them briefly, so I don't put much weight on my impression. What amp are you using? I assume you never got back your SDS-XLR, which is a travesty.

What didn't you like about them?

I haven't used them enough to make any firm comments.Also I have only compared them to the stock Shuguang tubes that came with the amp

Rob I don't know your amp but in the 300b amps I have heard the EML 300B have always sounded better to me than the WE300B's. The EML has the same midrange richness and tonality but is much more extended on the top and bottom and a bit more transparent as well.

In which amp was this? My friend has tried EML solid plate 300B, "current" production WE300B (as I understand WE isn't currently making the 300B) and old stock WE 300B. In his amp the "current" WE 300B sounded best. His amp is also incredibly transparent as far as 300B amps go.