Firstwatt F5: Why some people should not DIY

spritzer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay, 1 channel running. Noticed some very funky instructions in the Pass guide to this amp - it says to start with both trimpots at minimum - that resulted in about 8V across R12, had to very quickly adjust it to get a more reasonable voltage, was scared I burned something.

Second channel is getting some funky bias settings (where I reversed PSU polarity), replaced R11/R12 and 450/550s and the input jfets, but can't get above 0.4V across R11/R12. Could the mosfets be fried? It sounds strange, as I'd expect to get 0 output then. This board was getting 0V across the resistors before I replaced 450/550s. No change after replacing the jfets. Any ideas? I'm a little lost, not really sure what to replace next, except the mosfets as all the resistors look fine (not burned).

i used the Vishay-Sfernice T93YA trimpots and "minimum" = fully clock-wise. also, i got very little V movement with rotation and then, bam, i was sitting at 1.5V.