Firstwatt F5: Why some people should not DIY

spritzer

Doug won't get bugger all in this amp. The amp is yours. I'm going Quad 909, it's just a matter of when. I'll trade you in the return against building me a T2 or an olive loaf, or a trip to the penis museum or something. Just don't even think about return involvement.

Well it will stick around then until I've completed all the work on Stax transformers then we will find some use for it. Perhaps build a small pre to match it...

He gone.

Most excellent...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I know any of the admin staff there but I'll see what I can do. I have no patience or sympathy for scammers.

I know a mod there well enough to ask him about it, so I sent him a PM (anatech). Not sure how kindly they will view the feedback that you left for him there Duggeh, but I got a chuckle out of it :rofl:

I hope they ban this idiot. :) I just removed the RCA sockets and it was a nice touch to not clean up the inside edges of the holes and thus damage the the plastic insulation washers. :rolleyes: I did manage to mostly straighten out the the bottom panel and the LED's are fitted on the front panel.

One question though, does anybody have a single ZTX450 sitting in a drawer somewhere? Looks like I'll be able to get the output devices here and then I only need the single ZTX450 to get it up and running.

I heard back from Chris (anatech) already. He is going to share my PM with the other mods and keep an eye on rhysh. I think he misunderstood my PM, thinking the F5 transaction was on head-fi, not on diyaudio, so I clarified that it was indeed a diyaudio transaction (I hope I got that right!). At any rate, we'll see what happens.

This was indeed a DIYAudio transaction. There should even be some record of it here since somebody saw the listing and posted it if I remeber correctly.

Those arnt burrs, they are, uh, integrated lock washers. Yeah, thats right.

:P

Pass himself has said there isnt anything special about the ZTX450 for this application, and you can easily sub other BJTs with the appropriate pinouts.

There are already two 550's and a single 450 in place so I just wanted to use what was already there. Let's see if Mouser offers me free Fedex International Priority like they did last time...

Doesn't matter. I'll buy him Negronis if he isn't keen on beer. Or slippery nipples if he isnt keen on gin.

That could make for some interesting conversation.

Nate to the Mrs. - "Duggeh gave me some slippery nipples last night".

The Mrs. - "Well you can damn well keep them on your own side of the bed tonight!"

Nate - :(

It's only one for the 230v, put where the two primary windings are serial connected if I'm reading it correctly. It's also the small ones next to the output transistors which I'm not so sure about finding up here.

usually (I don't know about these boards), there is one in series between primaries (in 230V) and one used as a ground loop breaker that's connected from ground to the chassis. I don't mind sending an extra, but $3 parts are rather coveted in the DIY cave :)

Edited by luvdunhill

• 1 year later...

Time for an update. I'm going to try and finish this amp once and for all but the stupidity of the original builder is still haunting me. Here is how the amp looks now:

p1000745s.th.jpg

It works just fine even after I made it go arcy-sparky last summer. The short was violent enough to melt the probes I was using so the lesson here is "don't work on amps after being awake for 23 hours". :palm: Still, no parts were blown. Now the issue with the amp is heat, a lot of it in fact. The original builder thought he'd save some money and bought the 3U/300mm Dissipante chassis which is just too small. According to the specs Modushop posts these sinks are 0.45W/C and with each sink dissipating 60W it gets to 90+