EML 274B mesh or solid plate

SillySally

I am running a WA6SE maxxed (09 bulid)

I also use Senn HD -800s.

I am using a pair of rca 6ew7 big bottle and a EML 274B mesh plate.

I ordered a EML 274B, but I didn't specify mesh or solid. I was sent solid plate. Used the EML 274B solid plate for one night and exchanged it for a EML 274B mesh plate. However I did really like the solid plate, great overall tone and soundstage.

When I first got the EML 274B mesh I was disappointed.

I now have about 26 hours on it. The 274B has improved

but the soundstage is still not on a pair with the solid plate.

My question is will my mesh plate improve or should I go back to the solid plate or get the EML 5U4G-Mesh?

Thanks,

ss

the whole mesh vs. solid plate thing is weird with EML, you have to use your own ears and gear. I use EML 45 solid plates vs. the mesh based purely on reliability concerns, as well as EML 2a3 solid plates. However, 274 being a rectifier I personally don't put too much creedence into rectifiers having that much of a sonic impact IMO.

Yes I have tried the Mullard 5AR4 and Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier. I do like the SP 274B mesh(want a be) better than the Mullard. And now that I have about 28 hours on the EML 274B mesh I like it the best of all these rectifiers. Also after doing some power/drive tube rolling I like my nos 6EW7 GE the best with the EML.

The EML 274B mesh should be a drop-in replacement for the SP 274B for my Woo amp, and so far it seems to be.

The EML seems to be loosening up somewhat and improving in both tone and soundstage. But still not as good as the EML 274B solid plate. Better soundstage and detail.

Now here is the strange part. Jack at Woo likes the EML 5U4G-Mesh better than the EML 274B mesh. However if you look at the specs the EML 274B is a much better drop-in match for my WA6SE maxxed.

However I am always open to suggestions, so please let me know what yours are.

I am beginning to think that the EML mesh plate is better HQ music, and the EML solid plate is better for BD movies with there HQ audio. I use a Oppo BDP-83 as my source player for all music CD including SACD. And of course BD films. The Oppo really does a wonderful job of downmixing to stereo the 5.1, 7.1 soundtracks.

I use a PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, Black Sand Violet V1 power cord and a pair of Audioquest - King Cobra Interconnect cables(1m).

ss

what do you mean by this?

How the tubes match up to my amp. things like this.

• Blackgate voltage filter caps, 150uf/350V
  • Blackgate cathode caps, 220uf/100V
  • Blackgate bypass caps, 220uf/16V
  • Blackgate bypass caps, 22uf/350V
  • MILLS voltage filter resistor, 3.3K/12W
  • KIWAME load resistor, 56K/2W
  • KIWAME resistor, 1K/2W

There has been concern about the SP 274B mesh burning out to quickly when matched to the Woo WA6/SE maxxed or not.

I would link to the specs of the tubes but I don't want anybody to think I am spamming. Because I am not. If there is any concern about me spamming please check me out on AVS forums.

ss

• 3 months later...
the whole mesh vs. solid plate thing is weird with EML, you have to use your own ears and gear. I use EML 45 solid plates vs. the mesh based purely on reliability concerns, as well as EML 2a3 solid plates. However, 274 being a rectifier I personally don't put too much creedence into rectifiers having that much of a sonic impact IMO.

Forget about reliability for the moment.

The EML 274B solid plate is a much better rectifier than the EML 274B mesh. There is a fairly big sonic difference, at-least in my setup.

The two biggest problems with the EML 274B mesh plate is that its slow and the bass is not right, over powering.

ss