Wyred 4 Sound (ESS Sabre) DAC

Hopstretch

Any compared the W4S with high end dac like Naim, dCS, Esoteric ?

I have a friendly acquaintance of mine on another board who has run through a lot more high end gear then I'll ever see in my lifetime and someone who has shown me that they know what they're talking about tell me things like this:

I know I should have posted something of a review already, but I've been busy and I wanted to compare it to a few more players. That said, I'm very happy with the unit and don't see myself parting with it anytime soon. I recently compared it to a Cambridge 550C(no contest), Ayon CD2 and Ayon CD5. The DAC-2 had the tightest bass out of all 3 units. Imaging from all 3 units was similar, the tube units had a little more bloom(?) to the images, but the DAC-2 had the best definition. The rest comes down to person preference. The CD2 was a little forward up top, CD5 was warm or slightly rolled off, and the DAC2 was neutral in comparison. The DAC-2 also had better attack and decay than the rest. All these comparisons were done with singled ended cables. In my rig at home, the DAC-2 excels with balanced cables. The soundstage, imaging, and dynamics all improved.

and

I compared it to a friend's Ayon CD2($5,000) and CD5($10,000), IMO the DAC-2 was superior in almost every way to both machines. The only other DAC I would like to compare it to is the Esoteric D-07. But at 3 times the cost, I'll stick with the DAC-2.

and

FYI, the DAC-2 direct into my ST-500 via balanced I/C's is simply wonderful. Best setup under $10K that I've heard so far. They just do everything right together.
And so forth.

It's a steal at $1500 is the message. ;)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should make the specifications on their website clearer, "Upgradable Digital, Output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)" implies that the DAC does not have those options yet but the 6moons review and the back panel tell otherwise.

Still, the DAC itself looks very promising. My only gripe is about its looks. ;)

They should make the specifications on their website clearer, "Upgradable Digital, Output, and USB boards (designed for future improvements)" implies that the DAC does not have those options yet but the 6moons review and the back panel tell otherwise.

Still, the DAC itself looks very promising. My only gripe is about its looks. ;)

That definitely could be worded better.

It actually looks better in person than you might think. :)

Looks interesting. Wouldn't mind having a look what is inside too. I have here, unintentionally, an 840C, so a $1500 DAC that smokes it sounds like good kit to me.

6moons audio reviews: Wyred4Sound DAC2

The 6 Moons review has plenty of pics of both interior and exterior even just on the first page. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Eric, did you get the asynchronous USB add-on with your DAC-2?

It's part of the DAC-2. It's not an add on.

I've been using it and really using this piece a lot and very much enjoying it. I really couldn't be happier. Easily the best electronics purchase I've made since I bought my Head Amp GS-X a few years ago. :)

Since I've been trying to get to know different popular DACs without spending big bucks to audition them, I've been checking them out in the local audio clubs. Saturday, I spend about 5 hours almost comparing DACs.

I compared the W4S DAC-2 with a DB labs tranquility DAC, Buffalo32 DAC, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, Zodiac plus, and PS Audio digital link III. The system was either using the PS Audio transport or MAC mini to output to the DACs connected to the AR Reference 3 preamp (when DAC didn't use its own preamp) to the Moscode power amplifier out to the Usher Audio Diamond 718 speakers.

The Wyred had at least 15 or more hours on it, so it had some burn-in. Listened to it with each different digital input to gauge if there was much difference (a little, i2s was probably best). I honestly think the Wyred came in last in the shootout, I really didn't like it. Comparing it to the TPA Buffalo32, the B32 was much more right tonally even if it wasn't very full or lively sounding and its bottom end was not deep or extended. The Wyred was actually a bit irritating. :( Sadly, neither of the ESS chip DACs did very well, kind of bummed about that. It would have been great to have a high-end Stax system around to see how each DAC compared with a system I am somewhat more familiar with.

How'd you like the PerfectWave?

It was really great, probably my favorite. It would be intense listening to it for a very long time as its so demanding of my attention, but I have a lot of lust for it. Sad that it is also the most expensive, still hoping for the day I can afford it. :)

I think it helped me learn that I have a serious affinity for music that sounds 'hot' as I've heard it described. It might be something to do with how intimate it is with headphones.

That's a pretty interesting/insightful observation. I have the audio-gd loaner DAC in my rack right now and based on some very limited comparisons, it sounds more laid back than the PWD, which surprised me. I didn't think the PWD was that forward (which in some ways I think of as "hot"), but maybe it is. And I tend to prefer that more forward presentation. Still early, though, and the exact difference is really hard to articulate.

The PWD wasn't forward per-se, but it sounded very powerful if that makes sense. I loved it, the sound felt like it commanded my attention. Having that on in the background, I can't imagine trying to have an easy going conversation without getting distracted by listening. It wasn't musical sounding or fun, it was involving though. To me, it seemed like it would make a decent reference DAC. The rest of the DACs were more laid back (or either more dead sounding like the Buffalo) then the PWD it seems, except the Zodiac. Third time hearing it, I still don't like that either.

Since I've been trying to get to know different popular DACs without spending big bucks to audition them, I've been checking them out in the local audio clubs. Saturday, I spend about 5 hours almost comparing DACs.

I compared the W4S DAC-2 with a DB labs tranquility DAC, Buffalo32 DAC, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, Zodiac plus, and PS Audio digital link III. The system was either using the PS Audio transport or MAC mini to output to the DACs connected to the AR Reference 3 preamp (when DAC didn't use its own preamp) to the Moscode power amplifier out to the Usher Audio Diamond 718 speakers.

The Wyred had at least 15 or more hours on it, so it had some burn-in. Listened to it with each different digital input to gauge if there was much difference (a little, i2s was probably best). I honestly think the Wyred came in last in the shootout, I really didn't like it. Comparing it to the TPA Buffalo32, the B32 was much more right tonally even if it wasn't very full or lively sounding and its bottom end was not deep or extended. The Wyred was actually a bit irritating. :( Sadly, neither of the ESS chip DACs did very well, kind of bummed about that. It would have been great to have a high-end Stax system around to see how each DAC compared with a system I am somewhat more familiar with.

Great feedback!

I'd like to get in a situation like that myself where I could take some other goodies for a test spin and do a little comparison myself.

Obviously the usual "people have different tastes/all the gear in the food chain" disclaimers have to come into play here but thankfully there's a lot of choice. :)

Since I live practically in the boondocks "spending big bucks to audition" is about the only option I've got.

For me in my setup (key phrase) what I'm personally hearing with this Wyred DAC-2...I'd have to hear something pretty damned earth shatteringly incredible to make me want to unseat it out of here and sell it but hey, you never know, right?

No idea if it really matters but I'm probably north of 50 hours easy of total use on this DAC-2 so far.

Gosh, I've had it for a month already. I could be close to a 100 hours by now.

The literature suggests that 100-200 hours of burn in use is where differences really start to show up for whatever that's worth. They even say themselves that inside the first 100 hours things might sound a little "bright with harsh transitions."

Personally I haven't noticed anything terribly bright or harsh but then again, I was coming off a fairly bright source in the Cambridge 840c.

The DAC 1 and 2 are also "upgradeable."

Manox, interested in your comments on the Zodiac Plus. Precious little is known about it.

First time I heard the Zodiac plus was at Canjam Sunday morning after some morning Macallan scotch with the Ultrasone Edition 8 along with MPI. A lot of factors wrong there, so did not attempt to make much note of the sound. :)

Second time was at Canfest in Charlotte with the GS1000 by default. Wondering if dealers and manufacturers are purposely trying to pick controversial headphones or if the headphone jack just requires a low impedance phone and that was the most hi-fi of phones they thought to choose from. I pulled out my Senn PX-100 mk II while there to listen on my own. Sounded a little cold and had some brightness, did not like. They should have attached it to a stand alone headphone amplifier perhaps.

Saturday I tried it in a number of ways with the analog outs finally. I should point out that it had just been first used that Thursday, so it had very little break-in. Using a mac mini to USB and connected to the Reference 3 external preamp it sounded plain horrible. That didn't last long. Using its own preamp, it was decent. I didn't think it got the tonality of the brass right and the vocals had some sibilance or something that wasn't striking me well. It was clear and had the detail, but not so pleasant. AES input changed it a bit, but still not great. I'd just finished listening to the tranquility DAC that had a habit of throwing a large soundstage and being warm while sacrificing some resolution and pinpoint imaging it seemed, so this seemed a little cold in comparison. I would have taken the $900 soon to be $600 tranquility DAC over this probably, even if it wasn't as detailed or specs impressive.

I'd just finished listening to the tranquility DAC that had a habit of throwing a large soundstage and being warm while sacrificing some resolution and pinpoint imaging it seemed, so this seemed a little cold in comparison. I would have taken the $900 soon to be $600 tranquility DAC over this probably, even if it wasn't as detailed or specs impressive.

Looking around, this thing seems to be the go-to darling for people that just want a USB only DAC.

Looking around, this thing seems to be the go-to darling for people that just want a USB only DAC.

Yeah, it doesn't compete in looks really with the other DACs. Its a non oversampling DAC in a very standard silver hammond case with logo and label, small power LED hole on the front and just a power input, USB input, and RCA analog out in the back.

It seems to use the Burr Brown 1792-A chip, same as the Zodiac +. EDIT: Zodiac uses that chip. Dunno about the tranquility.

This was by far the greatest DAC shoot out I've ever been privileged to do. The PWD was nice, its on my short list of things to own when I win the lottery. Definitely try the Zodiac plus in the future. One thing I have my doubts about these impressions is that all of these units were no doubt very fresh. Some people are saying it needs 200 hours burn-in to stop sounding harsh and flat when these were possibly somewhere around 20 hours. I dunno. I'm wondering if they are catering to audiophiles or more to professional recording studios also. I'd bet its going to be around in the future at meets judging from how in the last six months its getting so much curious interest.

I haven't heard either of those DACs that you mention. I like to live vicariously through our resident curious george who collects the DACs too, so I'm always interested in his findings. Right now, the DAC I want to hear the most again on my short list is the Neko DAC. It was nice at Canjam and seems to please some of the other head-cases here.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Zodiac+. That first listen with the Ed8 must have been a horrible experience ;)

I'm next up on the Neko loaner list. I'd like to hear in for myself in my system.I don't know if Wes will be continuing the loaner program but you might sign up on his web site and try the Neko in your system if available.