Wyred 4 Sound (ESS Sabre) DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to me it doesn't. They don't respond during the week so I might as well try something else. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'm not giving them my money.

That's certainly a true and fair point although morphsci makes an excellent point about trying different emails accounts.

Hope this works out well. :)

I considered that, which is why I called at least 4 times, leaving messages each time. You know what there may be a great reason for not calling back, etc. but at some point I have to do something. The problem is I'm not sure what the move is yet. If I didn't feel I was going to lose the sale and the fact they said they had a used unit and they said they would get back to me quickly, I would have just kept the 302.

I considered that, which is why I called at least 4 times, leaving messages each time. You know what there may be a great reason for not calling back, etc. but at some point I have to do something. The problem is I'm not sure what the move is yet. If I didn't feel I was going to lose the sale and the fact they said they had a used unit and they said they would get back to me quickly, I would have just kept the 302.

With phone calls in the mix too...yeah, no way to really make any positive spin here without real grasping for straws.

Amazingly, I just received a response to my last email apologizing and offering me a fair deal on a used Amarra 4, which I told him is all I wanted in the first place. So in the end it has worked out, they stepped up to the plate and I appreciate that.

Yay!

By any chance did they tell you why there was such a communication issue?

I have dealt with one man operations where one person does it all and take that into consideration when I deal with such a business. This was a different situation and likely my situation was the exception and not the rule. Despite being pissed off I give them credit for stepping up to the plate and making it right.

Club Polk - View Single Post - Wyred 4 Sound DAC's...

Starting to see some user feedback about the DAC-2. Interestingly enough, this is a guy that also is currently using an 840c like I am. No, that's not me.

He's obviously pretty happy in the early goings. What he's describing is exactly what I'm looking for. More warmth! Yes!

Interesting, I would not normally describe any implementation I've heard of the Sabre32 DAC as "warm." But I thought the comments overall were interesting. I have heard a glare with the 840c that bothered me some, it was more upper mids/lower treble as I thought; I'm wondering if that's what he refers to. I strongly preferred a Primare CD player that I compared to the Cambridge.....

Interesting, I would not normally describe any implementation I've heard of the Sabre32 DAC as "warm." But I thought the comments overall were interesting. I have heard a glare with the 840c that bothered me some, it was more upper mids/lower treble as I thought; I'm wondering if that's what he refers to. I strongly preferred a Primare CD player that I compared to the Cambridge.....

I've never heard that description used towards the Sabres yet myself, either.

If that person is really hearing more warmth and such then obviously it just goes to show that it all comes down to implementation and all of the hardware used, not just the DAC chip itself.

As an 840c owner using Senn 800s on a HeadAmp GS-X I can tell you that I'm pretty sure I know what guy is referring to and I agree with him and I suspect you are picking up on that correctly.

The player can be rather sterile and dry and the "glare" you're referring to is more or less how I could describe it as well. It is a warm and natural situation. It's not a bad situation, either, don't get me wrong. I just know I could stand to inject some more natural warmth into the proceedings.

You want know what dry, brittle, bright, cold and clinical sounds like? It was when I was still using AKG 701s matched up to the 840c. Arctic blast.

The 840c's strengths IMO are: Imaging and resolution. That's it.

In my opinion, the 840c has sort of an artificial resolution or detail. It doesn't sound right, almost like it's trying too hard to be resolving... hard to say, but it's not a realistic detail at all. So, I couldn't really call that a strength... imaging I could agree with.

I think I have to agree with this as well. I've been noticing it for a while and I haven't had the right words exactly to describe it but sure enough you guys are helping me peg that down.

How can resolution be artificial? That terminology does not make sense to me, unless resolution can be more than 100%.

Let me see if I can help you: About as far removed from being confused for analog as you can get. Someone on another forum said that the 840c had a "sterile top end" and I'd say I'd agree with that for the most part.

Better? :)

No, I mean how can the amount of resolution be too much? I understand what the problem with the sound is, but calling that artificially inflated resolution is a really poor way to describe it. If it is as far away from analog then you appear to be desribing a lack of resolution of the digitized waveform to simulate the analog waveform.

No, I mean how can the amount of resolution be too much? I understand what the problem with the sound is, but calling that artificially inflated resolution is a really poor way to describe it. If it is as far away from analog then you appear to be desribing a lack of resolution of the digitized waveform to simulate the analog waveform.

At this rate I guess we'll have to wait to see what luvdunhill meant by "artificial." There isn't lack of a resolution IMO at least.