Wyred 4 Sound (ESS Sabre) DAC

Hopstretch

I'll be surprised if you find any dealers that discount off of Wyred's already pretty fair to arguably generous prices (IMO.)

Past that: You had the PWD before and didn't keep it. Why? And what's tempting you to get it again?

Generous or not, dealers tend to discount but you may be right. As far as I can tell, they are sold direct, by Clearsound and Underwood Hifi so with so few places to purchase, the likelihood of a deal is less, I guess.

I decided to keep my Sonic Studio 302 over the PWD, only based on having the ability to use my analog rig without a phono pre, with the 302. I was offered a very good deal on the 302 so I sold it knowing that I wanted to eventually move up the line. I may have to wait a bit to do that so I'm looking for other possibilities that I could move later, if I need to. I liked the PWD when I had it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now taking this thread even more OT, I am considering a used Naim Supernait, which has a built in DAC. The guy says it's better than the Wavelength Brick but not as good as the Berkeley DAC. It also is an 80 wpc integrated amp/preamp. Jp and I always thought that my Naim Nait 5i and CD5i was a great digital setup. I wonder how this would be. Anyone heard the Supernait?

I've been going through Sonic Studio and I finally received a response from them last night but on a 305 which they should know is not what I was looking for. I am hoping to hear back regarding the Amarra 4 or 304 later today. The reason for the change is that I spoke twice to them on the phone last week about what I wanted, left a couple of message for them and over the course of almost 2 weeks got no response. In other words, they pissed me off. If I pulled that crap with a client or someone looking to hire me, I would lose the client and potential client. I would like to stick with SS as I am familiar with how it works and their software.

mike, I agree that is bullshit, especially when we are talking about high dollar items.

for the record, when I emailed the W4S guy years ago with some random question, he emailed me back that same day with a descriptive, professional, and friendly response. I would want to do business with that cat if I was in the market for a dac or amp.

for the record, when I emailed the W4S guy years ago with some random question, he emailed me back that same day with a descriptive, professional, and friendly response. I would want to do business with that cat if I was in the market for a dac or amp.

having said that I haven't heard the W4S stuff. really I'm just saying I like to give my business to folks who communicate well.

Same experiences here a lot more recently. When I look around for Wyred on any number of forums I rarely if ever see anything negative and most of the negative stuff that I might have seen was at least partially user error or something easily rectified.

The DAC2 is still under my serious consideration. The few bits of feedback I've seen, and I don't include Six Moons but real users of it and/or the DAC1, has also been positive with virtually no exception.

I should have expected this. A while back I had tried to contact them about buying Amarra mini, sent emails a few times and never got a response. I just don't feel like I should have to chase around people I am looking to give more than $3000.

This is unfortunate. Strange even. I certainly agree with your sentiments and would feel the same way in your shoes. :(