Marantz SA-11S1

mjz3348

Anyone know where I could buy just the transport/laser replacement for the SA-11S1?

My Marantz SA-11s1 is out of warranty and now it stops playing many CD's and SACD's. The problem is intermittent and if I go through some voodoo magic spell I (turn off, turn on, open the tray, close the tray) can eventually get it to play the CD. Apparently there is something wrong with the transport/pick-up. Could be as simple as an allignment? but it looks like I can't open the unit up.

Anyone have any experience troubleshooting this unit? Sound is fantastic when it works - but lately I feel like throwing it out the window.

Someone could shock me here but shy of that, I think you'll have to contact Marantz directly. If you have the manual to your unit look for the tech support number. If you're still under warranty then so much the better.

The unit is out of warranty - I wanted to avoid calling Marantz until last - hoping someone here might have experience with the problem I'm facing.

I heard of many people having this same problems on this same Marantz, sorry.

You better call Marantz with an angry voice: sometimes some companies do have good customer service even if waranty is over...

Josep

PD. If all above does not work, well, you know what to do: throw it ! ;D

The unit is out of warranty - I wanted to avoid calling Marantz until last - hoping someone here might have experience with the problem I'm facing.
I think they were suggesting you contact them with at least finding out what unit they use as the transport. If not buying just the transport from their service center. I concur that you don't want them doing such trivial work if it's not under warranty, but who knows, they still might.

Looks like a nice unit, here's to hoping you get it working again.

And: have you tried just cleaning it? They have special CD's that you insert that have a brush on them.

Those use a Marantz SACD-M1 transport. Probably have to go thru Marantz to get one. I'd agree that I would call and bitch, particularly if it isn't that long out of warranty. Even if it is, for a player in this class. Laser shouldn't be an issue for at least 10 years, more like 20 for a good one.

EDIT: link to an audioasylum thread on this http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hirez&n=256745&highlight=sa-11s1

Edited by Pars

Since they don't have an online parts catalog, service manuals, etc. its pretty hard to determine. If they said that is what you need, feel lucky that it is only $83 and order it (it you think you can replace it yourself). While you had them on the phone, you should have asked about a service manual for this.

Or are you going to have them repair it?

Lets see... you have the service manual (and we don't), and you are asking us to somehow discern wtf IC731 is? If its upgradeable, it must be some sort of flash memory or something. Do I win?

yeah ...you win - stupid of me to write it that way. I thought someone who has the SA-11s1 might know what the "upgrade disc" does - because the manual doesn't say what it is for - just the instructions on how to load it.