Sennheiser HD600 cable connectors

Orcinus

Greetings. I recently bought a used Sennheiser HD600 from a friend for practically nothing more than a song, knowing it had problems with the cable on the right side. There is intermittent continuity, so the audio keeps cutting out if the cable is moved just so. I know there are several manufacturers that make replacement cables such as Clou and Cardas, but I don't feel like spending CAD$200 on -wire- right now. (yes, some of you will call me insane for not immediately picking up the Cardas or Clou cable. Well to that I say phthptftphfftt!!! :P ) Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the seemingly proprietary connectors that Sennheiser uses in their headphones. I would like to build my own replacement cable (obviously) rather than having to shell out $60 locally for an OEM cable or wait forever and a day for Sennheiser to respond to my e-mail regarding a replacement.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the seemingly proprietary connectors that Sennheiser uses in their headphones.

Simply put the only way to get them is to take them off an existing cable. If the connectors are ok on your current 600 cable I'd suggest cutting them off and using them to make something like this:

medium.jpg

That's just raw Cardas headphone cable coupled to some 650 connectors. It cost about $95 to make that cable which to me is much better than spending $200+ on getting one made. You could always try making one out of cheaper wire and seeing what your ears think about the results before spending that much.

HTH,

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Nate,

How do you splice in new wire to the 650 connector?

Do you have to cut the connector apart, or do you just connect to the wires coming out of it?

New 650 onwers whan to know ;)

Pete

Simply put the only way to get them is to take them off an existing cable. If the connectors are ok on your current 600 cable I'd suggest cutting them off and using them to make something like this:

medium.jpg

That's just raw Cardas headphone cable coupled to some 650 connectors. It cost about $95 to make that cable which to me is much better than spending $200+ on getting one made. You could always try making one out of cheaper wire and seeing what your ears think about the results before spending that much.

HTH,

Nate

Nate,

How do you splice in new wire to the 650 connector?

Do you have to cut the connector apart, or do you just connect to the wires coming out of it?

I've tried it both ways and honestly I think splicing to the existing wires (just below the connector) is the best route to go. It allows a much more reliable connection and doesn't mess with the pin position. Cutting apart the connector to get at even just the base of the pins is a serious chore and I don't think the last 1" of leftover cable is going to destroy the new cable's effect. At least that's what my ears tell me.

Also, just a hint, but I use adhesive-lined heatshrink at the connection to the existing wires to provide a solid mechanical connection in addition to the solder joint. I actually try to leave the wires slightly slack inside the shrink but who knows if that really happens.

Best of luck,

Nate

Greetings. I recently bought a used Sennheiser HD600 from a friend for practically nothing more than a song, knowing it had problems with the cable on the right side. There is intermittent continuity, so the audio keeps cutting out if the cable is moved just so. I know there are several manufacturers that make replacement cables such as Clou and Cardas, but I don't feel like spending CAD$200 on -wire- right now. (yes, some of you will call me insane for not immediately picking up the Cardas or Clou cable. Well to that I say phthptftphfftt!!! :P ) Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the seemingly proprietary connectors that Sennheiser uses in their headphones. I would like to build my own replacement cable (obviously) rather than having to shell out $60 locally for an OEM cable or wait forever and a day for Sennheiser to respond to my e-mail regarding a replacement.

send grandenigma a message, he knows how to cut the plugs off the sennheiser cable without doing any damage.

• 1 year later...