5v Regulated Supply?

Dreadhead

Huh. Do you perhaps have a short somewhere that is bogging down the voltage?

It seems common that people are getting shorts on the XO.

It's possible, as my gamma2 is not in a particularly working order at the moment. I managed to pipe 12vdc into it by accident. :P Currently awaiting replacement parts, though troubleshooting thus far (including replacement of the regs) seems to indicate that the 8501 is dead. Hopefully not much else died along with it.

does Ti recommend using an insulator?

No, I think better soldering technique is the usual solution :)

It's possible, as my gamma2 is not in a particularly working order at the moment. I managed to pipe 12vdc into it by accident. :P Currently awaiting replacement parts, though troubleshooting thus far (including replacement of the regs) seems to indicate that the 8501 is dead. Hopefully not much else died along with it.

Yeah, I don't think USB power is your only problem......

Yep, that's way higher than it should be, and definitely pushing the absolute max USB current draw of 500mA.

But you know what, this thread has got me thinking. If I used an external 9VAC plug pack I could easily fit an S25 in the same model enclosure as the Gamma 2. I would just have to tip the primary reservoir cap on its side, and be creative with securing the board with standoffs. It would make quite an attractive DAC stack.

If you used a slightly taller version of the gamma2 enclosure you can even fit a toroid in there as well :) That's what I'm planning on building for the S25 for the gamma2. But I'll admit, a matching power supply case would be pimp.

If you used a slightly taller version of the gamma2 enclosure you can even fit a toroid in there as well :) That's what I'm planning on building for the S25 for the gamma2. But I'll admit, a matching power supply case would be pimp.

Then I'd need an IEC inlet. That ups the no-tools complexity several fold, and the toroid is a whole lot closer to my DAC.