When Team Overkill builds a Blue Hawaii...

spritzer

I do have access to some crazy expensive thermal camera if I ask nicely enough quite frankly I'm not too worried about the thermal properties of this thing. We'll see when I get the boards mounted though.

As you might have spotted already, that riser in the side of the chassis doesn't work to fix the transistors in place. I'll have to a spreader and then mount that to the chassis.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you might have spotted already, that riser in the side of the chassis doesn't work to fix the transistors in place. I'll have to a spreader and then mount that to the chassis.

yeah, that's partly what I'm referring to. I'm wondering if the thermal junctions present in a normal case don't actually help lower junction temperature though. For example, in this design, the air around the fins provides a much higher thermal impedance than say the bottom of the case. But since it's all one large block of aluminum, it seems that natural convection to air would be sort of a "last resort".

Also, if you've ever heated up a block of aluminum, you know it takes forever to cool down via natural convection. I'm wondering if the internal temperature will rise dramatically as well, despite any attempts to add holes for natural heat convection.

thinking out loud... the thermal resistance goes down of the heat sink itself as it heats up, but as that happens the junction temperature of the devices rise, which in this case are positive temperature coefficient devices (BJTs). The issue is that since the devices are paralleled, one device will hog the current as this happens.

I wonder if you could add some sort of thermal feedback resistor/transistor/thermistor to the heat sink to help mitigate this effect to some extent. This feedback device would turn on at a low voltage and effectively regulate the bias voltage (i.e. in this case the CCS current) allowing it to slowly come up to spec.

here is the new rudistor power supply (+/-30 volts at 60 amps)

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/heatsinkpower.jpg

and the quad mono output stage, 12 x 10 amp transistors per output in parallel.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/heatsinkquad.jpg

the difference between the men and the boys is clearly the size of their power supply :D

All of that stuff came off the sector mass spec.. A Finnigan Mat 900.

well over 1M$ 8 years ago. worth nothing today.

The 3 pieces together drove the 4000 lb, 9 tesla water cooled electromagnet.

This really would make a kickass quad mono, no feedback, ultra low output impedance

single ended amplifier.

The high voltage supply is from the FAB source on the same instrument.

Makes a T2 look tiny.