When Team Overkill builds a Blue Hawaii...

spritzer

Here is one of the many projects I'm working on and it is intended as the last stand for the classic BH design. The back story ties in with the whole T2 project and that Torpedo was invaluable in acquiring the amp for me. Now we started talking about building a Blue Hawaii for him using the pile of boards I have here and to cut a long story his friend Paxti got involved as well which is a is a good thing since he owns a machine shop. We all had the same vision which is to go stark raving mad with this project using the best parts and not to cut any corners. Now the ultimate chassis has to be something milled out of solid aluminum and that's exactly what we decided to do:

p1000501t.th.jpg

p1000502y.th.jpg

What we have here is a 16kg lump of special aircraft grade aluminum machined to perfection. :) Now this is only the prototype for me to do test fits and to iron out issues but it is a beast to say the least. The PSU will be in a similar chassis as well though probably not as big. The "production" version of the amp chassis will also be smaller with quite a few changes but this gives a good idea of just how impressive these amps will be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patxi is FJ here. He reads the forum when has some time, but is too shy to participate. He's experienced, owns a headphone collection in the impressive side of things, and still thinks he's a newbie. I wouldn't say he owns a machine shop, that of his is more a factory. They produce custom metal pieces for aircrafts, civil engineering (like airports and such), ships... so finishes aren't exactly their thing. That prototype shows different finishes in the front, back and cover. The JR like in the front will be improved ;)

The aluminum used for it is actually a true milspec aircraft alloy which he chose for its heat dissipation and hardness properties. The thing in person is really impressive, no pics I've seen make true justice to that chassis. I can't wait to have the final thing made ;D Even more now that my 717 is dead :palm:

Thanks for your sympathy Deepak. I still have to contact Stax somewhere in Europe (not the Spanish rep who would send it to Japan and charge me an arm and a leg) to see if they can fix it. The silliest part is how it blew up. Just for a few sweat drops of mine -it was hot and I was working cleaning and adjusting things in the rig- which managed to get into the thing and create an arcy-sparky act 2x :palm: