Advice on which in-ear monitors to choose

bmasseur

If you love the Ety sound and just hate fitting them, http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=49'>ACS custom tips are for you. Really, I love these things.

Pars, the http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5.html'>Ety MC5 (which I believe Tyll called "the shit" earlier in this thread) is a candidate to consider.

Interesting! If these tips can fix the comfort issue then I could seriously consider getting the Ety for portable use. Love the clarity on those things.

Just a side question for you Ety ER4P/S users: do you guys use it amped or unamped?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting! If these tips can fix the comfort issue then I could seriously consider getting the Ety for portable use. Love the clarity on those things.

Just a side question for you Ety ER4P/S users: do you guys use it amped or unamped?

I think the ACS tips improve comfort, but mostly what they improve for me is the ability to get an isolating fit, with equal insertion depth / perceived volume on both sides, without endless fiddling and without needing to readjust every so often. For me (and perhaps I just have weird ear canals) that improves the listening experience hugely.

I use an amp with 4S always. I haven't really seriously used the 4P for music for a long time, but when I've occasionally re-compared it, I felt it needed an amp with iPods up through 2nd generation Touch. Subsequent iPod Touches and iPhones seem to have much better driving ability and I think the 4P is okay unamped with them.

YMMV of course since a lot of people have claimed that the 4P has always been just fine unamped with every source under the sun, and I may be substantially in the minority claiming otherwise.

• 2 months later...

Guys, I need a little help here. So since then I've acquired a second-hand ER4P with an EFN cable but recently, I lost sound on the right earpiece. Upon investigation, I think the pins inside the right connector broke so I need to replace it. However, the only seller I know that sells the DIY connectors does not ship to my country and bloody hell, I couldn't even contact him either if he wants to make an exception because he won't accept any questions.

So, does anyone know some other place that sells these connectors? If possible, I would like to avoid ordering a new cable from Etymotic.

Edited by K3cT

You can try asking Alex @ APureSound, he sells ER4 replacement cables so maybe he can help you with the pins.

Thanks! I will drop him an E-mail.

Jerry Harvey makes a replacement, not just for the cable, but for the ENTIRE mechanism. The JH13 is the perfect fix for faulty etymotics.

:laugh:

Honestly if he does one of those über sales again, I will be very interested!