Have you heard this Smyth Research Realiser?

Spychedelic Whale

• 1 year later...

The generic profiles might work but probably only for a small percentage of people, and it is easy to see why. The probably have different ears (so different measurements for both the headphones and the speakers) and also not using the same headphones.

The real benefit of this software is that if you have at least temporary access to a Realiser, you can have your own system measured and then ask Darin to load those customs profiles in the software that is much cooler.

For instance there are some studios in the EU who do this properly for a considerable fee but still cheaper than the Realiser.

And in theory you should have a Realiser loaded in the software without the head-tracking.

Well I am listening to one right now.

Unfortunately it does not seem to push the image nearly as forward as the Realiser does. I will try to see with other profiles to see if anything gets closer as it still sounds nicer than the default profiles. Maybe I will do fresh headphone re-measurement and try again.

Ok just tried it in 5.1, that is much more impressive (stereo music is a much less forgiving test), not as good as the Realiser but definitely way better than any other software-implemented virtualization I've ever heard.

There is definitely a lot of potential in this, I just need to make a much better kick-ass profile, and load that in instead.

Fortunately, the trial is free for anything, just need to ask Darin to make the files for custom profiles and then you can load them into the sw.

Also if somebody wants some PRIRs that are not in the dropbox folder, just PM me.

Edited by padam

It’s good to get your impressions Padam from the perspective of a Realiser user it’s interesting indeed. 

I loaded VMware Fusion on my mac book pro and managed to get this software running.

From the demos Rebecca Pidgeons track sounded much better than I’ve ever heard, but from within the software I cannot find the appropriate profile that matches.

I’m only really interested in 2.0, I had mixed feelings about some of the profiles I liked. I kept returning to bypass and found it sounded best overall, although the Sasha Wilson Puppies room sounded quite nice, good presence but overall a tad too lively for long term.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow today was a really eye opening day in discovering what makes the Realiser "tick" and this is something that I don't remember seeing written in the Realiser threads. Unfortunately it was the case of "you're doing it wrong" until now.

First. you need to do the measurements very carefully, precisely etc. that's a given.

But what makes it really work superbly it to measure speakers in the same - or maybe somewhat similar - room, ideally it should be acoustically treated as well but again it depends.

I am not saying other rooms might not work well, but establishing an environment that is "physically believable" to the brain is much easier.

And for that, the room where one wants to listen speakers regularly that are "there virtually" is the best.

At the moment my main problem is how I am going to save up for much bigger than 24 inch LCD to be able to the keep the distance. The sound is suddenly there now in spades, but the visuals need to keep up somehow :)

For people who can listen to speakers without worrying to annoy the neighbors (or other family members for that matter) this is just an expensive gadget.

For others who like to listen to music when being alone (especially Stax lovers), this comes highly recommended (maybe not quite at the current price) or a must try.

if I could make it work (with a helping hand from my friend), pretty much anybody else can. Yes the interface is quirky to use etc. but it just works and is actually preferable even just for stereo music listening.

Yes for a short time I did try some music separately on the speakers (Genelec 8040As in this case connected a pricey preamp which was connected to the Realiser, I will probably try again later with bypassing that to see how that sounds) and also on the headphones.

Well it is very similar but not quite the same.

There is a certain "pitch black" background with the speakers that are not quite there with the Realiser. But honestly, you wouldn't know that without listening very carefully. And I am not quite sure at the moment but the resolving power is even a bit better with the Lambda.

But I used a pretty crappy amp which definitely hinders the bass and I think I might do better on the headphone front as well (although the Lambda's crystal clear mids are pretty hard to match actually). I also have not touched any tweaking options (probably more essential for surround setups), just measured, loaded in, done.

And there are endless tweaks available as well but the most important thing is do either try to re-create the listening space (measure the distance from the speakers, and also the listening height), or even better, measure the speakers there and then send them back, re-sell, whatever and repeat the process again and again  :D

I guess speaker rental service is something that would be impossible to implement compared to something lensrentals :)

For John especially, I disabled the head-tracker as well to mimic the Out Of Your Head. Yes it is still works convincingly, although I think having the head-tracker definitely makes it even better. But as I wrote if one gets a measurement in a precise spot and re-creates that environment it will work well.

So I definitely see plenty of potential in this software as well, pity that it quickly adds up if one does many great profiles.

i will report back once I get this profile loaded in that thing.

Edited by padam