Upcoming releases

Dusty Chalk

Well, I'm revisiting all three, starting with Memories in My Head, and I remember why I liked this so much -- I just don't get enough space rock. Space rock is my preferred genre.

At least, that's why I like this so much. We'll see if it sustains when I get to Out of Myself...

EDIT: And ADHD is fucking awesome, I love those stilted rhythms. "Hyperactive", in particular, is an outstanding album opener -- I find it totally energetic.

EDIT: There's also a great quote in Classic Rock presents Prog magazine with Akerfeldt on the cover, something about "I don't understand why fans want progressive acts to stand still" -- I think he even specifically mentions ...well, maybe not My Arms, Your Hearse, but maybe Morningrise, something to the effect of, "we already released that, we want to move on to something else, I would think our fans would want that, too".

EDIT: Okay, just got to Out of Myself. WTF? This isn't that different. And besides, ADHD >> Out of Myself. Alright, maybe just one, '>'.

Dusty: your comments made me go back and listen to their entire discography so I can comment with fresh impressions. No use going further with stale memories of some of the tracks. Good thing I did, since listening to the material gave me new perspective of some material and more concrete opinions of other material.

First off, ADHD was not as bad as I remembered overall. I still hate "Hyperactive" even though it accomplishes musically what it set out to do: depict a spastic and frantic lifestyle that first world countries have embraced. The last three tracks are the best on that album, and I really like the ending of the album. Riverside always did have a great ability to come up with great electronic sounds.

Regarding the trilogy of the first three albums, my longstanding love for Out Of Myself is unchanged. It is by far their best album as a whole. All of the things I like best about Riverside are best displayed on that album: outstanding atmosphere, spacey keyboards, Gilmour-esque guitar parts, and the overall mood. Second Life Syndrome has a few songs that are of that caliber as well such as "After", "Conceiving You", "Second Life Syndrome", "I Turned You Down", and "Before". With Rapid Eye Movement, the only songs that reach that quality are "02 Panic Room" and the title track which is not even on the standard release.

I tried hard to like the Memories In my Head EP, but I found it to be boring as hell. It was a huge letdown for me.

As it is now, here is my order of preference:

Out Of Myself > Second Life Syndrome > ADHD > Rapid Eye Movement > > > Memories In My Head EP

Regarding Mikael Akerfeldt's comments, I completely agree with him. There is no sense in writing for the fans, because that is not where the heart is. Artists should write what they want, as that is the best way to ensure quality. Having said this, I happen to not like anything Opeth has done since 2003, and Heritage is an abomination. The only thing I like about that album is the short title track.

Mikael may want to move forward and evolve, and that's fine with me, but he is as pretentious as fuck when he shits all over modern metal releases and says that metal has been boring since the mid 90's. I get that he has a love affair with prog rock, but he is (or at least was) better at progressive death metal if Opeth's musical direction is anything to go by.

Getting back to Riverside, you should really try Journey Through The Hidden Gardens from another Polish band called Disperse. Outstanding album!

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Yeah, you know, I agree with you that they sort of went through a lull with REM, although I lump SLS in with REM. Not bad, per se, just not as good as their best work.

You don't like Hyperactive? That's one of my favourite tracks -- I just love that sound of being on the verge of chaos. I guess that's just a good indicator that we will never completely agree...and that's okay. beer.gif

And Forgotten Land (last track on Memories in My Head) is my favourite track off that album. It's funny that you should mention ambience and atmosphere, because I think this EP excels in exactly that regard. Just goes to show, we can agree on things, and still come to individual conclusions. I love the patience in the songwriting on that one. It's probably 2nd after ADHD.

Also, there might additionally be something else going on here. I have a friend that when I met, we thought we'd agree on everything, and instead, we've polarized our musical tastes. He's decided he hates goth metal (probably because I play it too much) and I still love it . I suspect my unabashed love of minor chords and melodrama is the differentiating factor in that case. For example.

That said, I do appreciate you revisiting it on my behalf -- I suspect a lot of people are perpetuating the lull to more recent albums unfairly. I will continue to revisit Riverside, because space prog is still >> christmas store music.

Yeah, I remember WAY back in the HF days on those "Darkest Desires" threads where us two, Jazz, Eyeteeth, and Enverxis (and I am sure a bunch of others) had a lot of musical overlap in terms of taste, and then we'd all have that bit of unique taste that differed from the rest of crowd. That's what makes the discussion fun - that bit of differing taste can really lead to revising of opinions as well as finding new music.

I'd have to say that one's ideal mix of atmosphere and ambiance in music like this is highly individualized. I am a total sucker for that spacey keyboard sound, but I am also very picky, because it can be either overdone or paired with really bad music. That's not to say that the EP is guilty of either, rather, that album just struck me as a bit uninspired.

Your story of your friend reminds me of my wife. We are essentially clones except when it comes to musical tastes. She's more into the alternative rock scene, which is fine. She still has not gotten used to my stuff, but she puts up with it. We can agree on stuff like Pearl Jam, Dido, and Tori Amos though, so that is what gets the most airtime when she's not in the mood to hear my stuff.

Seriously though, I think you might like that Disperse album I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Radio Edit single track off Riverside's new album:

https://soundcloud.com/riversidepl/riverside-celebrity-touch

Granted, it is a radio edit, but I have one word for it: BORING.

I am sick of modern prog metal/rock bands trying to turn back the clock and go back to the 70's. If I want to hear that, I'll go listen to that. Shit Riverside, don't go Opeth on me!

Very much looking forward to the SW album though. Should be killer.

My only nit with SW is you have to buy the super deluxe edition which is $$$ to get the bonus tracks. Anyway a minor nit from one who spent $500 on a free jazz box set, and SW's deluxe book's are very well done.

Have you guys heard Astra - The Black Chord? It's not bad, just not the most ground breaking music. I still enjoy spinning it now and then, came out last year iirc

I will always buy the standard Blu-Ray Steven Wilson albums for the hi-rez and look "elsewhere" for the extras (if not included in the Blu-Ray). I could never justify the extra money since I am not really into the exclusivity or the book or whatever - I just want the best sounding version of the album and be done with it. Having said that, buying a bunch of the deluxe issues is a sure fire way to make money after the fact. Holy crap!

I will always buy the standard Blu-Ray Steven Wilson albums for the hi-rez and look "elsewhere" for the extras (if not included in the Blu-Ray). I could never justify the extra money since I am not really into the exclusivity or the book or whatever - I just want the best sounding version of the album and be done with it. Having said that, buying a bunch of the deluxe issues is a sure fire way to make money after the fact. Holy crap!

I will probably get the vinyl when amazon has it. I do love SW's surround mixes, so I might get the blu later on.

I bought the deluxe book for Insurgentes (4x 10" lp), and Grace For Drowning. Grace wasn't really that limited, Insurgentes was. I don't think this new deluxe book will be hard to get; Burning Shed haven't specified a number they're making, unlike Insurgentes which was I believe 1000 copies.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

I have heard the new Antimatter, but have been not following leaks lately (I just don't have the time), so probably won't hear the Steven Wilson until it comes out properly in February, and did not pre-order the Riverside (I don't think -- I should double-check before I accidentally order it twice), so will probably not hear it until later this week...I will order it today if I haven't.