Forza Motorsports 4

Edwood

Yes, I have lost my mind and spent an assload on actually getting the Fanatec CSR Wheel, shifter, and Elite Pedals like in this picture (not mine pictured, but I have the same set up, including the stand).

Although, I did sell off a few nice knives to fund this purchase...

020fj.jpg

The game looks and feels fantastic. I must admit the collaboration / co-branding with Top Gear has pushed me over the edge with getting stuff for this game. Also, the fact that they support true H pattern shifter, is why I got it. Flappy Paddles and Sequential shifter is there as well.

The amazing Auto Vista mode (a spin around the car gallery tour, with a feature narration by Jeremy Clarkson), and the featured Top Gear test track. You can even race it by yourself (Hot Lap mode) in the Kia cee'd to see how you stack up as a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car. (Oh, man, it's a lot harder than I thought, the Hammerhead is a real challenge).

-Ed

Edited by Edwood

I'm still running the old Microsoft wheel, and it's holding up well. If it ever dies I'll be real tempted by a full Fanatec setup (or if I hear they're going under I might have to purchase one for longevity).

LOVE the headtracking. I've been a mildly hardcore Forza player since the first one. Love how natural it feels, and the camera bobbing around a bit is fine by me. Still driving slow cars mostly, getting used to the new engine. They went ground-up on their tire and braking simulations and it's a pretty decent improvement over the last 2.

Yeah, I'm still having a tough time getting the Hammerhead perfect, where it feels I'm not coming to a near stop taking that corner. I keep doing it way too slow or way too fast and crashing into that tire wall. (was that the same wall that Stig crashed the Koniegsseggseeesgsgsegsgesegsgsgessg?)

Really loving the Pagani Zonda Cinque.

The Lexus LFA, not so much. Been crashing into a lot of walls with that massive understeering machine. Did not expect that one. Bastard just doesn't want to into the corners.

Plus I love the banshee scream of the Cinque engine.

Also drove the Zonda R in Forza 4. Now that's a BEAST. It's quite the monster to handle, but it's still smooth, and has amazing grip, along with incredible brakes. Unlike the LFA, which I had to brake harder and a lot earlier. (not to mention the Cinque brakes are fantastic as well)

Here's footage of a real Zonda Cinque in a review.

And the monster Zonda R.

-Ed

Edited by Edwood

I have a similar, simpler setup - logitech g27, ps3, gt5. Wish I had more time to play it though.

More Zonda R goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egoNtLNX6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEz1jxIgmsM&feature=related

Jay Leno's Garage also had a few videos on it and the new Huayra - the build quality on these cars looks absolutely stunning.

It's definitely a handful but I also suck. Best time around Laguna Seca on racing hard tires is 1:23.9 (no electronic aids used). Don't remember the time on soft tires but it was faster. There's a ton of room for improvement still.

I'm also a fan of the Mazda Furai; I really didn't expect it to be as fast as it is, but I suppose if you shove a turbo three-rotor into a chassis that weighs less than 1500lbs it's gonna go. The chassis is very well-behaved, too. I think I did 1:08.something on the top gear track, though I don't remember the tires I used.

Of course nothing in the game is as insane, stupid, and wonderful as the Red Bull X1. Now if only it was real... 0:46.7 around laguna seca?

Edited by catscratch