trick or drink

grawk

Six jumbo bags and we were cleaned out before dark. So we put up the 'out of candy' sign, turned off the lights and went into the basement to eat dinner before the scary teens came. I guess the neighborhood teens are ok, but it seems like most of the after dark teens around here are creeping in from the inner city. It's never anyone I recognize.

Very nice brick roads, I approve!

John, you should really do a little spring cleaning...

Yeah, we try, but the ghosts keep coming back!

Actually that's the neighbor down the street that takes Halloween the most seriously every year. Our first year going out, we didn't know about them, walked right up, and my daughter literally ran screaming down the street from fear. Now we ask each of them from 3 houses away, if they want to go to the scary house? My daughter freaks out, says no, and runs away. My son says yes, gets as close as the scary clown who hovers over him, then changes his mind.

that's a damn nice neighborhood, I get why you get mobbed

Very nice brick roads, I approve!

Driving on brick/stone roads sucks though.

Thanks! We're really happy here. It's a little bit like the stereotypical old neighborhoods from the 1950's, a great place to raise kids. We have about 5 block parties a year, most people know each other and are really friendly and polite, a ton of kids, on and on. Yes, there's the paranoid schizophrenic in the unkept house, but the kids need a house to be scared of, and to dare each other to walk up to, right? Every now and then the police surround it, because she calls them saying there's evil people trying to kill her, the police come, there's no one there, and she ends up in the psych hospital. Luckily, a psych nurse at the local hospital lives right next door, so she can handle it ok.

The brick roads are a town experiment. They're way more expensive, but look nice, last longer, drain better, and are easier to repair. They ARE harder to drive fast across, so it slows down speeding drivers. If it goes well, they might do it across the whole town.

We had fun, driving the boys around to the neighbours' houses. There was a good assortment of pseudo-healthy, home-made, and standard chocolaty treats, and the kids are happy. We didn't get anyone showing up at our door, which is not terribly surprising since our house is a new addition to the landscape around here and people with kids probably either don't know where it is or opted to drive their kids into the nearest town to cash in on the larger hauls available there. One of our more remote neighbours did their house up to the nines with Halloween decorations, and we were the only people who came trick-or-treating to their place. I felt a bit sorry for them.