DIY balanced HD650 cable

deepak

I will have a stock HD650 cable in a week which I was going to use for the connectors.

I was going to make a 2.5 meter cable terminated in 2 female XLR plugs. And I was thinking of using silver plated copper, which is pretty easy to find on ebay for cheap in long runs. What I'm concerned about is what gauge should I get? I don't mind a stiff cable as I'm sitting in one spot when I listen, but a bit of flexibility is good too.

I was thinking 26 or 28 AWG? In a litz braid up to the Y split

If you're going to bother braiding your own I would get some non-flea bay wire - who knows what the heck that stuff is? I've used 22ga Belden SPC from Handmade Electronics for signal wire and it's quite nice.

Otherwise, as a start, you might try just reterminating the stock HD650 cable with whatever XLR's you're going to use and see how it sounds. Mikhail uses that exact cable to demo his amps at meets so it can't be total crap.

medium.jpg

If you're going to bother braiding your own I would get some non-flea bay wire - who knows what the heck that stuff is? I've used 22ga Belden SPC from Handmade Electronics for signal wire and it's quite nice.

Otherwise, as a start, you might try just reterminating the stock HD650 cable with whatever XLR's you're going to use and see how it sounds. Mikhail uses that exact cable to demo his amps at meets so it can't be total crap.

medium.jpg

Reterminating a stock cable might be a better idea so I can compare stock single ended vs stock balanced.

Were you saying Mikhail uses the Belden SPC, or a stock reterminated HD650 cable?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

• 2 weeks later...