Car audio – CD/AAC player recommendations

HiWire

My "new" old car has a cassette player/AM/FM radio and I have no cassette recorder.

Does anybody have recommendations for in-car CD players? A multi-CD unit is probably unnecessary for my needs, and the same with video. I don't think I'll need a new amplifier or speakers, but I'm also completely new to car audio in an audiophile sense. I've always stuck with the stock car setup to save money for my home listening.

Should I just get a cassette adapter to connect my iPod shuffle/PCDP instead?

Yes to the latter, or something similar. You essentially have three choices -- cassette adapter for the iPod (which really isn't that bad a choice), FM modulator for the iPod (I'm about to replace my head unit, so I probably won't need the iSimple unit I just got and had installed -- you're welcome to it for a discount), or see if your head unit will take a CD changer (my Thunderbird had one). Go to Crutchfield.com and find out what your car can take.

cassette adapters work WAY better than fm adapters in most areas. So in some ways, you're better off with an older stereo than a new one if the new one doesn't have an aux input.

I agree with this 100%. Order soemthing off Ebay (probably $5) and use it until it breaks. Not a great solution, but better than the FM option any day.

Ultimately, in the last vehicle that I had it was annoying enough that after a few adapters died, one during a long trip, that I dumped a bit of $$ into a newer head unit with AUX input. I'd go to Crutchfield for that. The kit they sent was really easy to follow and install and I think in the end I only had $200 or so into the new unit including shipping.

cassette adapters work WAY better than fm adapters in most areas.
Yes, yes they do. I would even go so far as to say, "...in all areas." I have an FM modulator (a wired one, which is better than a wireless one), and it's still not as good as a cassette adapter. I largely suggested Crutchfield to find out whether or not your car has a multi-/changer adapter on the back of its head unit. If you do, then it's the best choice, whether you hook a CD changer to it, or an iPod adapter.

I'm happy with the alpine receiver in my car. It was the lowest-end model (~$100 Cdn, not including the installation harness), and I got it installed last winter. It has an aux input as well as USB, and I'm finding the USB to be cool because I can load my tunes on my smartphone and have the battery charge while playing music in the car. You can also just load up a USB memory key with music if you prefer. I can tell you nothing of the audiophile-ness of the system, aside from saying that it sounds good for a stereo in a non-soundproofed car which drives on gravel roads a lot.

Edited by acidbasement