Balsamic

shellylh

Today I decided to buy a slightly better Balsamic Vinegar than my usual: Leonardi "gold seal" 793232526591.2_3.jpg It is fantastic. I know this isn't the super great fancy expensive stuff but it is still good. My read into balsamic is that the very expensive stuff is very sweet and only to be used for desserts. This seems to be pretty thick and sweetish with enough bite that it can still be used for salads with good olive oil. What is your favorite balsamic and what you use it for?

I am now very curious about buying some "tradizionale" balsamic vinegar but don't know where to start. I guess I should find a place that has tastings.  

Edited by shellylh

I have found the 18 Year Old Balsamic de Modena I got from John in the gift exchange to be quite good.  I have done some experiment with everything from brisket to a weird, but tasty, fruit salad with it.  I do not know what in particular aging does to Balsamic but this is quite good and holds up to cooking very well.

i-jDsWHLV-L.jpg

I do not know Italian brands for Balsamic but I will ask Claire her thoughts.  I know we like this one from a Sonoma olive oil maker:

darkbalsamicIMG_0212.png

And we also came across a lot of places in Germany that used the glaze or crema balsamic reduction as a table condiment.  It is great on bread, fruit, salad, etc.  This is one brand we have used and liked, on the sweeter side.

71WqwxAawNS._SL1500_.jpg

I have found the 18 Year Old Balsamic de Modena I got from John in the gift exchange to be quite good. I have done some experiment with everything from brisket to a weird, but tasty, fruit salad with it. I do not know what in particular aging does to Balsamic but this is quite good and holds up to cooking very well.

i-jDsWHLV-L.jpg

That's my favorite. They always have free tastings, if anyone's ever in town. They also have a bunch of flavored stuff, but my fave is that 18 year old stuff. Pretty good drizzled over a good vanilla ice cream! They also ship!

http://www.oliveandwell.com/store/default.asp?dept_id=12

Edited by jvlgato