New Source: Modwright 999es

postjack

Bought a Sony Modwright 999es second hand over at HF. Just got it in today! :dance:

I've only listened to a few SACDs I purchase to check it out, but so far it is pretty magical.

Couple of pics:

sony999es004mw4.jpg

Dedicated power supply:

sony999es002sd6.jpg

Only immediate impressions are that vocals on SACDs (depeche mode sofad, roxy music avalaon, harnoncourt mozart's requiem) seem much more real. Everything sounds wider, more rounded, all the various instruments seem to have a specific place they exist in. Very cool.

The Mozart sounds wonderful. Looking forward to doing an AB test with the redbook FLACS of this through my DA100. The DM sofad I have mixed feelings about. The mix is very, very different then the original CD release. Not sure if I like it or not. More listening will tell, plus I have other DM sacds to test out. Roxy Music is spot fucking on. This album sounds absolutely fantastic right now. So airy and lovely. :)

Just wanted to share the joy. ;)

Guest sacd lover

Very nice .... congratulations. Does this cd player use 5687 output tubes? If so, the 5687 is a great tube. Get yourself some Tung Sol 5687's .... although it looks like that might be the tube in the player. ;D

Very nice .... congratulations. Does this cd player use 5687 output tubes? If so, the 5687 is a great tube. Get yourself some Tung Sol 5687's .... although it looks like that might be the tube in the player. ;D

Yup, 5687s, and those are Tung Sols, came with the player.

sony999es009hs0.jpg

More opportunities to do a bit of rolling, I'll be trying out my RCAs and Sylvanias there as well.

jpak I just got through listening to The Downward Spiral and it sounded of course fantastic. The redbook mix, however, also sounds great. I'll have to do some more listening before I make any real comparisons. Listening to Van Cliburn's Tchaikovksy's Piano Concerto 1, this sounds really amazing. I think I can safely say I definitely do prefer the SACD of this to the redbook.

I also just listened to another DM sacd (violator), and I have to say, my initial impression is disappointment. The mixes sound drastically different then the redbook, and they are kind of loud. :-[ At this point I prefer the original redbook masters, but who knows, maybe I'll warm up to the new ones. Still have Music For The Masses and Speak & Spell to listen to.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give an update after owning this source for a month.

Basically, I really like it. My limited audio experience prevents me from making a really detailed (and thus really helpful to you, the reader) description, but I can tell you what changed when I went from FLAC -> Stello DA100 to listening to physical media on the 999es. I recall specifically when I compared a few tracks on "With Teeth", and more then anything what the 999es gave was more impact (which goes nicely with the PPX3 Slam) and body. I'm not sure if body is the right word, but all the instruments feel more whole. Even on redbook, there is an easily noticeable increase in the amount of depth (soundstage) with the 999es, especially when listening to a familiar jazz album like "Kind Of Blue" (this comparison was done with redbook. The SACD offers even greater depth and realism). The DA100, by comparison, is more upfront and brighter. In general, rock guitar sounds silkier on the 999es.

To sum up, the 999es is more laid back, yet exhibits greater dynamic control. Instruments just jump out of the blackness and grab my attention with ferocity. Drums sound real, and when I concentrate on them this little fire lights up in my stomach. :)

Also, sometimes when I'm listening to classical or jazz on the 999es, I hear some crazy shit like a page turning or a tiny footstep that sounds so real it freaks me out. How this contributes to my overall enjoyment of the music, I don't know. But its pretty cool.

Apologies for the scant description and the late review. I'm not much at comparing equipment, plus usually when I get home after work I just want to sit down and listen to some tunes, not pull wires and A/B gear. ;) But that can be fun as well.

• 4 months later...
If there is one source that I am most curious about it is that modwright. Almost went with that over my G08. Bet it sounds fantastic, great catch

Nice find man. I heard the Modwright 999ES and thought it was very impressive. You might want to invest on a new powersupply to make your player sounds better. I have compared my modwright/kern moded 777ES side by side with the 999ES and the 999ES is very very good.

Regarding the modwright 999ES and G08 it is depending on your taste. I found the G08 to have better bass response while the 999ES has a slight edge in tonality and details. The modwright is leaner but slightly more forward sounding than the G08.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a couple of weeks with the Aqvox and comparing it side by side with the Modwright, the 999es still comes out on top. In redbook, the Modwright has a slight edge because of greater warmth, darkness, and a truly massive soundstage. The Aqvox doesn't have the sony hardness of the 999es, meaning its a bit softer in the higher frequencies, but it has a smaller soundstage and isn't anywhere near as warm as the 999es. The softness, detail, smoothness, and intimacy of the Aqvox are all attractive attributes, and thus choosing between the two sources when it comes to redbook is more a matter of personal taste.

Of course, throw an SACD on the Modwright and it blows the Aqvox out of the water, but I expected that.