RIP Groklaw

CarlSeibert

This is kind of sad. She did a lot of good with that site.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57599288-38/surveillance-concerns-bring-an-end-to-crusading-site-groklaw/

The story sort of implies, indirectly, that she must think that corporations can break GPGP. That would be news to me. I thought it wasn't really established that the government could do that on any meaningful scale.

Well, public key encryption is totally brute forceable.  It requires a determined actor, but there's a lot of computational power in the mega-corps.  

As to the gov't, I basically assume that the NSA can break any encryption currently available in what amounts to real time.  Also, given that it IS public knowledge at this point that the FBI had a back door inserted into openssl about 12 years ago, and I'd make the giant leap to believe that there's probably a back door in every open source encryption library and program.  Phil Zimmerman quit using PGP a few years back.  I'd think that has some back story, as well.

• 2 weeks later...