Reviewing reviews

NotoriousBIG_PJ

How come every headphone review has at least one "bass goes really deep" yada yada type comment. Most recordings don't even have deep bass on them and even many of the nice cans we enjoy gently roll off down there. Even worse is how every interconnect comparison within a review ends up with the new interconnect being a bit more extended in the highs and the lows.

Can I get a review of my review of bullshit reviews now?

Biggie.

I'm reading this on my work system, which, although it doesn't have as much resolution as my home system, is more properly set up. Yet both are perfectly adequate for this kind of post. It's all about resonance, and what you say resonates with me greater than other kinds of posts. I can read these kinds of posts for 8 hours day with zero fatigue. My home system is a little bit more fatiguing, but I still prefer it, due to its greater comfort, so I'd still read it there, too.

I'll post more later as I digest this information.

Exactly, unless I'm listening to my Chesky Ultimate Demonstration disc, or something equally obscure bass extension isn't that important for instrumental music (electronic music is a different issue).

Though you are correctly referring to a pile of bullshit quoted by many head-fi type reviewers, I strongly disagree with your poing about bass extension not being important for instrumental music. Any full orchestral work (i.e. including double basses, double bassoon, bass drum, or anything else down there), or anything played on a modern piano (even if not written for it) demands full extension. With the fundamental frequency of bottom A being around 27hz, it is extremely relevant. Even if the music does not require that note itself, the mere lifting of the pedal releases harmonics in that region, and such technique in using these 'silent' harmonics to flesh out the tone of a single note is fundamental to (good) piano playing. Chop these frequencies out of the reproduction and you can guarantee that you are not hearing the tonal colour that the poor 'instrumentalist' worked for years to accomplish. Of course there are millions of other reasons why you wont be hearing their intentions, but in this specific case it's an often overlooked point.

Though you are correctly referring to a pile of bullshit quoted by many head-fi type reviewers, I strongly disagree with your poing about bass extension not being important for instrumental music. Any full orchestral work (i.e. including double basses, double bassoon, bass drum, or anything else down there), or anything played on a modern piano (even if not written for it) demands full extension. With the fundamental frequency of bottom A being around 27hz, it is extremely relevant. Even if the music does not require that note itself, the mere lifting of the pedal releases harmonics in that region, and such technique in using these 'silent' harmonics to flesh out the tone of a single note is fundamental to (good) piano playing. Chop these frequencies out of the reproduction and you can guarantee that you are not hearing the tonal colour that the poor 'instrumentalist' worked for years to accomplish. Of course there are millions of other reasons why you wont be hearing their intentions, but in this specific case it's an often overlooked point.

Of course I completely forgot about classical :/

But there gets to a point in bass frequencies where it needs to be felt and heard at the same time. So I'm still in agreement with Biggie that bass extension on headphones doesn't mean a whole lot to me (unless we're talking about sub-bass being completely eliminated...)

And it is a little funny when Sony quotes the Qualia as doing something like 8-60000 Hz, and people buy into it.

I'm not saying bass extension isn't important, its just that most reviews I read, the reviewer doesn't have a strong grasp of their headphones bass capabilities.

If you want full extension speakers are the way to go.

Biggie.

I would disagree here. If you are comparing apples to apples, so headphones vs. a fullrange driver, the headphones will have much better low end extension (if the amp allows). The best a full range speaker can honestly do is 40 hz. I use a combination of classical music and some electronic music like bela sonus to try and hear that 20hz bass. The headphone low end doesn't slam you in the chest per se, but it definitely goes lower, or at least when compared to my cicadas. Now if I had a set of coincidents or even a set of klipsch cornwalls with their 15" woofers (!), now those things will slam you in the chest and go lower

I'm talking about speaker systems with extension, not drivers.

Biggie.

Okay yes I understand, sorry about the semantics my original post was in regards to speaker systems that just happen to use one driver for the full range of sound. And within that context headphones have deeper bass extension than those speaker systems. Now if you are talking about speaker systems with multiway drivers and crossovers, with the sound being dissected into woofer, midrange and tweeter, then if designed correctly you might get better low end extension. Good Headphones with a good amp do deep bass easily, whereas you have to throw a lot of money at a multiway speaker to even get close to 30. However most basic speakers that have decent low end will slam you in the chest in a way that headphones can only dream of.

How come every headphone review has at least one "bass goes really deep" yada yada type comment. Most recordings don't even have deep bass on them and even many of the nice cans we enjoy gently roll off down there.

Perhaps a lot of them have never heard half decent bass before, or they're mistaking a mid-bass hump for deep strong bass. Or maybe the reviewer's just a complete tool, like the countless shameless fanboys on Head-fi.

Even worse is how every interconnect comparison within a review ends up with the new interconnect being a bit more extended in the highs and the lows.

It's the shiny bling effect of the techflex cable jackets with silver/gold accents.

Exactly, unless I'm listening to my Chesky Ultimate Demonstration disc, or something equally obscure bass extension isn't that important for instrumental music (electronic music is a different issue).

Any decent recording with a grand piano, especially something like a B

• 1 month later...
Guest GlendaleViper
And it is a little funny when Sony quotes the Qualia as doing something like 8-60000 Hz, and people buy into it.

I have a CD of the Bramburg Dogwhistle Philharmonic that you absolutely MUST hear. PM ME! :P