No DFE here, only "expect perfection" ???

deepak

My K701 came in ;D

Always curious about these, only encountered them very briefly in a meet.

akg701_2.jpg

akg701_1.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't been able to listen to most of my reference discs since the audio PC I stream from is being completely rebuilt and I'm waiting for a power supply.

I got these this afternoon, then went out for a bit, so I only have around 3-4 hours of head time on them. These aren't completely burned in either according to the original owner (~50-100 hours of use)

These are definitely some weird headphones to try and describe, they're like a cross between Grados and Sennheisers. Not exactly sure what to say, but I'll try.

I have NOT compared them to the K1000, only the HP-2.

-more bass volume than the HP-2, listening to Isis I literally said "holy shit" out loud when Over Root and Thorn and Holy Tears came on

-in my opinion they have more bass than the HD650, not sure what people are saying when they call them bass light

-the HP-2 has much more bass impact, kick drums have that in your head sensation that the K701 can't reproduce

-K701 bass is quality bass, doesn't overshadow the midrange or become boomy like the DT770/80 bass

-listening to some female vocals there is some sibilance

-cymbal hits are a bit tizzy

-depth of soundstage is poor (greatly disappointed)

-left to right separation is incredibly wide

-they sound like a combination of open and closed headphones, sort of fishbowl imaging that reminds me of the R10 or K340

-on really hard cymbal hits the HP-2 has a bit more decay

-midrange on both are impressive

-can't comment on HF extension just yet

-PRaT - HP-2 beats it. But the K701 aren't boring to listen to, but I kept wanting to switch back to the Grados

Most of the above was with most of the different types of rock I listen to and CDs that I had on hand.

I will compare the K1000 and K701 with classical and jazz once my PC is rebuilt, hopefully this weekend.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem with the comfort of the K701 for me are the bubbles on the headband. You can really feel the pain on the top of your skull if you listen to the headphones for more than a hour. Garbage can / cable ties are the way to go to fix this problem though. :angel:

The main problem with the comfort of the K701 for me are the bubbles on the headband. You can really feel the pain on the top of your skull if you listen to the headphones for more than a hour. Garbage can / cable ties are the way to go to fix this problem though. :angel:

I'm due for a haircut tomorrow so maybe the headband might get uncomfortable. But right now I can't feel it.

That was my problem. In addition, I couldn't pull them far enough down over my ears. The bottom of the cup was constantly pushing up on the bottom of my ear. After a listening session lasting about an hour, I would have a headache from the strap. After about a week of daily listening, I pretty much had that pain on my head all the time. I tried about two more weeks to see if I would get used to it. Just didn't happen.

I quite enjoyed the sound while I had them.

That was my problem. In addition, I couldn't pull them far enough down over my ears. The bottom of the cup was constantly pushing up on the bottom of my ear. After a listening session lasting about an hour, I would have a headache from the strap. After about a week of daily listening, I pretty much had that pain on my head all the time. I tried about two more weeks to see if I would get used to it. Just didn't happen.

I quite enjoyed the sound while I had them.

That is EXACTLY how I would describe my experience. :P Every single point. I think we have similarly shaped heads. ;D

Gah, I need to get some comfy cans.

That is EXACTLY how I would describe my experience. :P Every single point. I think we have similarly shaped heads. ;D

Gah, I need to get some comfy cans.

Okay, big head test! Have you ever tried any beyers, and if so, do you ever wish they could stretch out that damn headband like, one more inch? :D

This is the real reason I prefer Senns and Grados. They are the only cans that will fit my oddly shaped head. ;)

Nice review, I agree with most of your points, especially about tonal balance. I think I disagree on comfort, but I've never had them on my head for 2 hours.

My biggest disappointment actually has nothing to do with these phones -- it's the fact that since they discontinued the K1000, these are supposed to be their top-of-the-line headphones, and as such, are...disappointing. A company's top-of-the-line headphones should be pretty damn good..."statement"...

... beyers, and if so, do you ever wish they could stretch out that damn headband like, one more inch?
Actually, I thought that was basically the difference between the pro and the home version, when those came out...? I'll have to find my email from Jan (Meier)...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GlendaleViper

I'll echo the headband issues. The friggin' bubbles on the headband can get very painful (especially on a shaved head) and even after a year, they haven't softened up much at all. At the same time, it's a minor gripe when the sound comes into play.

I have been exceptionally happy with the K701 as a classical and large scale Jazz can and, until I got my RS-1, they did an admirable job with other genres as well - even rock, especially ambient stuff. IDM music in particular can be sublime, especially with the...

...bass response! It surprises me that the bass struck you as satisfying. We seem to be in a very small group in that regard.

Beyond that, I can tell you that you shouldn't expect much of a change with burn-in from here on out. Anything particularly noticeable had ironed out by about 50 hours on mine (most notably the bass got deeper (but no less snappy) and the treble smoothed out a little). Claims of 500 hours to fully relax the drivers are overblown, IMO. You MAY notice a slight bass recess around 150 hours, but it returns as quickly as it was lost, if I recall correctly.

Beyond that, just give them some time and see if you adapt. I'm noticing a trend of AKG and Grado lovers here. I feel right at home.

I found that comfort was about the only thing I liked with the K701, and as I've long said, they ain't even close to hanging with the K1000, HP-2, RS-1, K340 or any other headphones at that level. I'd take a Grado SR60 over a K701, at least the Grado can do tone and make music, something which completely eludes the K701.

I found that comfort was about the only thing I liked with the K701, and as I've long said, they ain't even close to hanging with the K1000, HP-2, RS-1, K340 or any other headphones at that level. I'd take a Grado SR60 over a K701, at least the Grado can do tone and make music, something which completely eludes the K701.

That may have been true for you on your gear but it certainly isn't true for myself and many others.

Those are some nice cans you name outside of the 701's, but I can certainly tell you that the bolded statement is completely NOT true on my equipment and I'm a pretty picky listener. If I had the problem you're talking about, I would have sent these things right back in very short order.

I know that there's talk about "hundreds of hours" of burn in and some such with the 701s...I don't believe it. I think that's a lot of exaggeration, hyperbole, and placebo for some folks.

The 701's are a picky and very greedy/power hungry can. Just my experiences, not the "gospel truth of all." ;)

YMMV to all of the above. :)

I'm in agreement with aerius I actually do prefer both of K340 sets to the K701.

But this comes down to personal preference, I'm severely under amping the K340. Of course the same could be said about the K701 (though the Melos SHA-1 does a find job with the K701), my setup is geared towards only two headphones.

That may have been true for you on your gear but it certainly isn't true for myself and many others.

Preferences differ, sure, but I have to clear up one thing here. I've heard the K701 on more gear than most people ever will, everything from my own tube amp, a KG Dynahi, several Headroom amps including the Balanced Max, and it never woke up. It was slightly better in some systems than others, but nothing really significant.

The 701's are a picky and very greedy/power hungry can. Just my experiences, not the "gospel truth of all." ;)

There's a guy on Head-fi with a custom 300B amp and Audio Aero Capitole SE CD player. When he said he didn't like the K701, the fanboys cried that his system wasn't good enough and didn't have enough power. I damn near pissed myself laughing, as the morons doing the crying own bargain basement made in China amps with a fraction of the power & goodness of his gear.

There's a guy on Head-fi with a custom 300B amp and Audio Aero Capitole SE CD player. When he said he didn't like the K701, the fanboys cried that his system wasn't good enough and didn't have enough power. I damn near pissed myself laughing, as the morons doing the crying own bargain basement made in China amps with a fraction of the power & goodness of his gear.

He has a K1000 :P

I would never ever think of replacing my K1000 with a K701.

I would never ever think of replacing my K1000 with a K701.

Having heard a K1000, neither would I.

Though using a K1000 while lying down, as I often do while listening to my K340 would probably be a pretty interesting experience, and not necessarily in a good way...

I actually have no comfort issues with them with long term use. But they might be for sale since they're not in the same league as my HP-2 and K1000. I might still use them in a bedside rig if I get a DAC/amp USB thingy.

You should drop your friend Todd (skullguise) a PM about the HPDac he just listed. Hard to beat that for the price in the "dac/amp thingy" category. ;D

You should drop your friend Todd (skullguise) a PM about the HPDac he just listed. Hard to beat that for the price in the "dac/amp thingy" category. ;D

He was willing to let me borrow it when I was at his house

I was a bit afraid for my wallet so I didn't take him up on the offer :D (his asking price is a steal)

May just started, and I just bought Reks' Northstar DAC so I need to slow down.

Preferences differ, sure, but I have to clear up one thing here. I've heard the K701 on more gear than most people ever will, everything from my own tube amp, a KG Dynahi, several Headroom amps including the Balanced Max, and it never woke up. It was slightly better in some systems than others, but nothing really significant.

Bah, that's all junk!!!!

:P I'm kidding, of course.

There's a guy on Head-fi with a custom 300B amp and Audio Aero Capitole SE CD player. When he said he didn't like the K701, the fanboys cried that his system wasn't good enough and didn't have enough power.

?!

.. I damn near pissed myself laughing, as the morons doing the crying own bargain basement made in China amps with a fraction of the power & goodness of his gear.

^^ Certainly fair enough and I would have joined you in laughing had I read some of that myself.

One of these days I hope to try out one of these legendary AKG 340s and/or K1000's for myself. There's a bunch of cans I've been curious about, but money is finite. ;)

It's also annoying that a lot of this stuff has long since been discontinued and is incredibly hard to come by.

I've seen enough about the K1000's that I'd probably come close to taking a blind leap at those things, given a chance.

k701 is crap.

About as descriptive as I care to get.

Biggie.

Pretty harsh, but to each his own.

Which cans do you favor?

I'm only about a year into the whole head-fi hobby so I'll be the first to admit that my overall experience and demoing is sorely lacking although I'm pretty happy right now with what I have.

I do have a very light upgraditis itch going right now, but what else is new? Heck, is there anyone around here that doesn't have that problem? ;)

For fun, why don't you all name me some cans that I should try and "shoot out" against the 701's on my system sometime? :)

I don't know if we've (or I) have sorely derailed this thread or if it matters. If so, just go here I guess: http://www.head-case.org/index.php/topic,1256.0.html :)

^^ That subject's still open, btw.