New Tiny SP

postjack

i don't believe a case is included with any of those kits, except the sigma22 that's included in the balanced version, and iirc amb says that the sigma22 will fit into that hammond case (and a 2ch b22 would fit in the same case, again, according to amb)

i will email him now, asking if the only things it doesn't include are: the transformer, the volume control, and case for b22

maybe someone will actually buy the sp mini so this thread can get back on topic before page 30... ;D

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, jeff's kit for the B22 includes the output transformer. the total cost of the balanced B22 including all the parts can be done under $600, but I went for premium parts and it ended up costing significantly more. i got the matched transistors from amb, and the rest from jeff. i did not have to get parts from anywhere else, except for the screws and hex standoffs. and the usual, like solder and wire, and a Par-Metal 20-series case. not sure how much MisterX charges to build one, but I know how much I would charge.

At a casual rate, it takes about 6 hours to stuff all of the 5 boards (1 PSU and 4 amp boards), but the casework takes longer. Then there are nifty little things like a gain switch (at the input level). I got a big case for mine in case I wanted to add an extra power supply board. Impressions coming soon!

the beta22 has an output transformer? i was referring to the transformer on the sigma22...

oops my mistake. i meant power transformer for the sigma22. i've dabbled in tube audio for too long, it has stolen a portion of my identity.

i am confused... i swear to god i pasted his reply last night.

here they are:

It's True !!! I promise. Now what is it people are saying my kits cost??

Well, you can always go to my website to check the price yourself, but if you want to pay 1000 for a balanced kit, I'll even through in a nice enclosure and stepped attenuators. (-:

To take away the mystery I have attached my order forms for the B22 and S22. I basically save people tax and a bit of shipping charges and headache trying to get the hard parts.

You can add pots, but I am still working on stepped attenuators for the balance version.

The good thing about this project is AMB (Ti Kan) will go to extreme lengths to ensure your amp comes out fine. He has even soldered up people's mistakes. No one out there supports their designs better.

Thanks for you interest.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for helping spread the word. I have never even visited that forum, so I was intrigued to see people were writting about the kits on it.

The price difference stems from my removing the discount from the order forms. I am losing alot to paypal fees and need to start going to more realistic pricing to keep the service going. I was trying to save people money over what they would pay to Mouser, but I didn't really account for the tax and shipping I had to pay on all my orders.

To make it short the store still has some discount to it's pricing. The price will eventually catch up, just need to modify the web site. Feel free to order from the store and save, although the store screws up the shipping charges (I'll fix it with the order)

i'll attach the spreadsheets he sent me. so yes, his prices are correct... miraculous.

edit: can't upload excel files. in short, everything is included, besides the volume pot and case for the b22. i am sure he could throw a case in if you were building a 2 channel passive ground version though, it will fit inside of a hammond 1455 t series.

Just be aware that he's still really only supplying the parts that you need to stuff the boards. For the balanced amp you're going to need a serious chassis and along with any build you'll always use more hardware than you think. From standoffs to jacks to switches and so on and so forth. Basically, I think you'd find that in raw parts costs if you were careful about what you did you could probably build a 3-channel version in a single-box (do so at your own risk) enclosure and be into it for about $500 or so. I tend not to keep track on builds like this as my configuration is somewhat fluid until I declare it done but I can tell you that I've got more than that into my 3-channel beta but it doesn't exactly look like your run-of-the-mill DIY amp either.

• 1 month later...

Back on the topic on the Tiny Singlepower...

There are a few interesting comments coming out in the most recent Florida Meet thread. Jp#'s gives it a pretty good bitchslap and everyone else has precious little good to say about it (which really speaks volumes) other than the fact that it runs hotter than a bastard.

Choice quote for the banned among us:

The squarewave was kinda lame, sound was so so and it did not inspire confidence with the build feel and amount of heat it threw off.

Mikhial makes some good stuff but this is not one of his finer moments. If I had $899 or so to spend and I was going to spend it in Denver I'd get the extreme over this one.

Back on the topic on the Tiny Singlepower...

There are a few interesting comments coming out in the most recent Florida Meet thread. Jp#'s gives it a pretty good bitchslap and everyone else has precious little good to say about it (which really speaks volumes) other than the fact that it runs hotter than a bastard.

Choice quote for the banned among us:

Hmm, thanks for the notice, Nate. I think I'm gonna go read soon on my lunch break - as oppsed to now, when I'm really supposed to be getting though piles of paperwork.